India and the EU have been working together on climate change research since several years. The urgency of climate change adaptation was recognized in 2007, when the impact of climate change on water resources was identified as one of the important areas for EU – India research collaboration. As a result, funds within the European and Indian research programme were made available to initiate several joint research projects.
Despite all cooperation, long term and sustained collaboration between Indian and European researchers has been limited. The Climate Adaptation & Services COmmunity (CASCO) project aims to redress this.
CASCO will bring together expert clusters from the EU and India in the field of climate adaptation. Climate change adaptation is expected to become one of the most pressing challenges for sustainable development in India in the coming decades. This project will target researchers studying the Himalayan floodplains, eastern deltas and semi-arid regions of India. The CASCO mobility scheme will make it easier for European researchers to work and stay in India for a longer period.
Services provided by Wageningen Environmental Research
- Partnership workshops which will deliver joint papers in the field of climate adaptation, supporting the development of a joint EU-India research and innovation agenda;
- Mobility of researchers: more than thirty exchanges;
- Events to increase the visibility of the cluster and EU-India cooperation, like:
- A summer school targeting PhD students and early career professionals;
- A high level policy conference;
- Climate Services Brokerage event, linking research with new and existing innovative small and medium companies.