students going abroad


Tips for students going abroad


  • The Erasmus+ programme supplies exchange students from EU - going for an exchange within EU - with an Erasmus scholarship. For advice contact one of the departmental exchange coordinators or visit Loes de Heus or Katharina Langenbeck in room 029 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday from 12:00-13:00.
  • Studying at a university in Russia can be funded through Erasmus Mundus (contact:
  • If you have a BSc degree from a Dutch university you can apply for a scholarship (of about 7000Euro for one year) for a MSc in France. For details please surf to:
    Contact: Vincent Jouanolou - 020 53 19 546 -
  • The Dutch government has bilateral relations contracts with around 40 countries. These contracts may be the basis for students to follow courses or do research abroad. Nuffic (the organisation for international cooperation in education) can supply you with more information through

Safety and Health

Of course we hope that your exchange period will be without any problems regarding your safety. And most likely this will be the case. However it is wise to acquaint yourself with the host country before your departure. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands gives travel advice by country. This website is in Dutch, Ministries of other countries will have similar information on their websites.

Further advises:

  1. Stay informed about the situation in the country and read all the advises in advance:
  2. Download the travel-app on your mobile phone:
  3. Registration with The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is recommended:
  4. Stay in touch. Inform family, friends of any travel plans, and any changes of your address, itinerary or phone number.
  5. Keep your host and home university coordinators informed about your well-being in case of calamities
  6. The usual health preparations regarding prophylaxes and vaccinations if you go to a tropical country. Please contact the Vaccination Centre for advice:

English language certificates

All non-EU partners and some EU partners require you to hand in an English language certificate. You can do a free OOPT (Oxford Online Placement Test) at the In'to Languages centre: Here you can obtain the certificate.


There are possibilities to get a free travel/luggage insurance - for more information go to the SSC student desk.

Arrange administrative things with DUO (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs)

You can for example ask for public transport compensation from your student 'reisproduct OV-chipkaart' instead of your weekend or week subscription. For more information and tips see:

Post your room on

Students that want to rent out their room, can use the housing platform This webpage is developed in order to bring demand & supply of student accommodation better together. This website is free to use and it operates on a full student-to-student basis, without intermediaries.

Housinganywhere has a small amount of scholarships available for students that wish to stay one month longer in the guest country after their exchange. For more information and to register please surf to the Facebook site of housing anywhere.