FACCE CSA prepares and supports the successful development of the Joint Programming Initiative on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change (FACCE JPI) and deliver strong foundations designed to insure long term durability and a strong impulse to allow a rapid start to Joint Programming and Joint actions.
The Joint Programming Initiative on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change (FACCE-JPI) brings together 21 countries who are committed to building an integrated European Research Area addressing the interconnected challenges of sustainable agriculture, food security and impacts of climate change.
FACCE-JPI provides and steers research to support sustainable agricultural production and economic growth, to contribute to a European bio-based economy, while maintaining and restoring ecosystem services under current and future climate change.
It aims to do so with a strong transdisciplinary research base, encompassing economic and social aspects in addition to scientific ones, and with a creative approach towards the alignment of national programmes and the input of multiple actors and stakeholders.
The integrated FACCE-JPI strategic research agenda defines 5 core research themes:
- Sustainable food security under climate change, based on an integrated food systems perspective: modeling, benchmarking and policy research perspective.
- Environmentally sustainable growth and intensification of agricultural systems under current and future climate and resource availability.
- Assessing and reducing trade-offs between food production, biodiversity and ecosystem services.
- Adaptation to climate change throughout the whole food chain, including market repercussions.
- Greenhouse gas mitigation: nitrous oxide and methane mitigation in the agriculture and forestry sector, carbon sequestration, fossil fuel substitution and mitigating GHG emissions induced by indirect land use change
These core research themes are gradually taken into account by national research agendas in view of aligning national programmes where much research is already undertaken, and inspire pilot joint actions on topics where research is lacking.
For more information please visit the FACCE JPI website.