Food security is a major concern for all countries in the face of population increase and diminishing energy and water supplies. Over one billion people in low and middle income countries suffer from malnutrition. To meet the UN Millennium Development Goals to eradicate hunger and poverty, it is essential to reduce post harvest losses, including in the fisheries sector.
The overall objectives of SECUREFISH are to:
- strengthen capacity in low cost technology;
- improve the preservation of existing fish supplies;
- utilise waste and by-catch to produce value-added products;
- develop an integrated quality management tool;
- test the developed technology and quality management tools in different real third country conditions.
For more information please visit the SECUREFISH website.