For my bachelor thesis I wanted to find a topic that was both related to biotechnology and plants. At the Laboratory of Nematology I got the opportunity to combine these two fields.
The aim of my thesis was to produce a human protein -Transforming Growth Factor β1 (TGF-β1) – in a tobacco plant. First the TGF-β1 gene was amplified by PCR using a human genome as template. The gene was inserted into a plasmid, which was then inserted into the plant by using modified bacteria. I tested if the plants produced the protein and additionally did a biological activity test. It was really interesting to see how the process of producing proteins in plants can be done. And to make it even better; the produced TGF-β1 was biologically active for the first time after experimenting for almost 8 years! I learned a lot, was happy with the results and staff members were nice and helpful . Altogether it made my time at the Nematology department unforgettable.