WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a lecturer to support education at the Environmental Policy Group at Wageningen University. To join our team you must have an MSc degree in the social sciences and demonstrate an interest in environmental issues. You must also have a passion for teaching, motivating and mentoring students and be able to deliver student-focused education, both individually and in a team environment. Prior didactic and teaching skills and experience are a plus. While this is a starting education position, you will be offered support and opportunities to build an education career at Wageningen University.
The Environmental Policy Group (ENP) offers numerous courses in Bachelor and Master programmes concerning Environment, Climate, Food, Marine, Urban and Tourism studies at Wageningen University and contributes to many other courses in even a wider range of fields. ENP also aspires to be a front-runner in on-line teaching methods (MOOCs) and innovative student projects (4TU Student Challenge, International Environmental Consultancy, Master's courses at the AMS-institute).
As a lecturer in our group you will contribute to a strongly internationally oriented teaching programme at Wageningen University. We ask you to:
- Support courses in various Bachelor and Master programmes, including leading tutorials, supervision, marking and occasionally lecturing.
- Supervise (groups of) students in courses, consultancy projects, internships and theses.
- Organise thesis student presentations and help organise ‘thesis cafés’
- Assist in building and using digital learning environments for ENP courses (Brightspace, Feedback Fruits, Question Mark, etc.) and on-line teaching (MOOCs)
- Support the administering of educational activities such as student registrations for courses, internships and theses, grades, and finances.
- Keep developing the extensive educational portfolio of ENP and seek opportunities for education innovation
You are a team player who collaborates with colleagues and (thesis) students focusing on food and marine governance, urban transformations, climate futures and environmental mobilities. Above all, you are a social colleague willing to balance your personal interests with those of the group.
Furthermore you have:
- An MSc (or PhD) in the area of sociology, social geography, political sciences, environmental (social) sciences, or other discipline with proven affinity with the environment;
- A passion for education on the social science of the environment, and enthusiasm for lecturing diverse groups of students;
- Ability to organise and execute multiple (educational) tasks;
- Excellent communication skills, both with students and academic staff;
- Fluent in English.
- Demonstrated interest or ability to work in an interdisciplinary education and research environment.
- A strong team player willing to contribute to the wider interests of the group.
We offer a creative and inspiring working environment, with opportunities for self-development in the many aspects of environmental policy education through the new education pathway (also known as education tenure track).
This is a part-time position (0.8 fte), lecturer scale 4 (Hayscale). A position with, depending on your experience, a competitive salary from a minimum of € 2.709 to a maximum of € 4.274 for a full working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement Dutch Universities (scale 10).
A 1 year contract with possible extention.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- a coice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
We offer a versatile job in an international environment with varied activities in a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
DO YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION?
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from: Dr Mattijs Smits, telephone number: +31 (0) )317 489 557; e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested? We are looking forward to receiving your letter of motivation and your CV online via our online application button before September 8, 2019.
The mission of our University is to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life. Within Wageningen University & Research, nine specialised research institutes from the Wageningen Research Foundation and Wageningen University have joined forces to help answer the most important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment. With approximately 30 locations, 5,000 employees, and 10,000 students, it is one of the leading organisations in its domain worldwide. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of the unique approach of Wageningen.
The Environmental Policy Group in Department of Social Sciences at Wageningen University has an internationally recognised reputation in the area of environmental social science and policy research and education. Our 14 tenured staff, 9 Postdocs and over 40 PhD students focus on the social and political science of environmental transformations. Our research is divided into five research innovation platforms: marine governance, sustainable food transformations, governing climate futures, sustainable urban infrastructures and governing environmental mobilities. Research of the group has a strong international orientation, being conducted at both the global level as well as in number of countries across Europe, Africa, Latin America and Asia. The staff profile of the group is also international, with more than 12 nationalities employed. For further details see www.wageningenur.nl/enp
Could you be one of these people? We give you the space you need.
Equal opportunities employer
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.