We are looking for
A Manager Operations to join the Management Team of Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation, part of Wageningen University & Research.
You will manage the internal operations, finances and human resource management on a day-to-day basis. You will facilitate the effective organization of the product portfolio consisting of courses, advisory services, project implementation and action research. For the effective organization of the portfolio you will combine demands of our clients, partners, WUR and other stakeholders with the expertise of our team and WUR colleagues..
Other responsibilities of the Manager Operations are (a.o.):
- Ensure the implementation of/develop proper and accountable procedures for HR management, project acquisition, contract management and procurement;
- Coordinate the allocation of staff (scientific and support staff) for the effective and efficient implementation of the product portfolio;
- Facilitate and guide operational portfolio issues;
- Guide the financial and operational aspects of acquisition trajectories;
- Act as the first point of call and line manager for all our support staff and part of our scientific staff;
- Streamline the process of developing annual operational plans and budgets;
- Organize the timely and effective internal communication regarding operational ambitions and planning;
- Monitor internal operational performance.
- A professional with an academic degree in business administration, economics or in a field relevant to our central themes;
- Minimum of 10 years senior management level experience in relevant field of which preferably several years in the operational management of a knowledge organization, consultancy firm or a training institute ;
- A coaching, entrepreneurial, inspiring and team spirit oriented management style;
- You are aware of national and international debates in the fields in which we operate;
- A proven track record of working in cross-cultural contexts;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including high-level interpersonal and representational capabilities;
- This position requires an excellent English and Dutch language proficiency (a minimum of CEFR C2 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
The opportunity to join a team of inter-disciplinary international development professionals and researchers who enjoy working in an collaborative and entrepreneurial environment on socially-relevant matters at the interface of science and society. You will become part of the large network of Wageningen University & Research where we want our knowledge and insights to create a major impact on society.
An initial one year contract of 36 hours/week with possibility for extension and an eventual permanent contract, salary depending on education and experience
Additional information can be found on our website at
For any further information about this position or an informal talk please feel free to contact the Business Unit Manager Hedwig Bruggeman, (0) 317 48 68 27
An assessment is a component of the recruitment process.
Please apply online by uploading your CV and letter of motivation on our website (https://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs.htm) before May 27th, 2018.
The mission of Wageningen University & Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Within Wageningen University & Research, nine specialised research institutes from the Wageningen Research Foundation and Wageningen University have joined forces to help answer the most important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment.
With approximately 30 locations, 5,000 employees, and 10,000 students, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain worldwide. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of the unique approach of Wageningen.
At Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation we strengthen capacities for sustainable development in support of inclusive and sustainable food systems, through ‘Knowledge in Action’. We do so through our unique approaches in fostering lifelong learning, guiding sector transformation, managing for impact, facilitating stakeholder collaboration and strengthening strategic leadership. A close connection between project implementation and capacity development characterises our work. In our work with clients from governments, businesses, civil society, NGOs and the academic world, our group of 50 scientific staff connects Wageningen University & Research's knowledge and expertise with the challenges to support inclusive and sustainable food systems in low and middle income countries.
For further information about working at Wageningen University & Research, take a look at the special career site.