We are looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic postdoc to join our lab (http://siddharthdeshpandelab.com/) at the department of Physical Chemistry and Soft Matter, Wageningen University. We are a young, interdisciplinary group, interested in understanding the inner workings of biological systems. With particular interest in cellular morphogenesis, this project will probe the link between intracellular cytoskeleton and the phenomenon of liquid-liquid phase separation (LLPS). With plenty of freedom for creative thinking, you will explore the impact of LLPS on cytoskeletal dynamics, primarily using, but certainly not limited to, on-chip microfluidic systems. This position gives you an opportunity to tackle exciting and relevant scientific questions using diverse state-of-the-art facilities (microscopy, microfabrication, rheology, AFM, etc.). Furthermore, you will be part of a multidisciplinary and collaborative department, which focuses on diverse questions pertaining to the field of Soft Matter.
- An enthusiastic and ambitious scientist;
- a strong liking for interdisciplinary research and the capacity to dive into unexplored areas;
- a successful PhD in biophysics, biochemistry, microfluidics, soft matter or a comparable discipline;
- knowledge and expertise in bottom-up biology, cytoskeleton, membranes, phase separation, and/or microfluidics is a plus;
- a very good scientific track record, exemplified by first-author publication(s) in reputed journals;
- eligibility and ambition to apply for personal grants (Marie Curie, Veni, etc.);
- capable of working independently but also a good team player;
- excellent communication and presentation skills, with a good command over English language;
- willingness to supervise Bachelor/Master students, for example, theses, internships, etc.
A challenging position for 2 years with, depending on you experience, a competitive salary to a maximum of € 4.274,- for a full working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement Dutch Universities (scale 10).
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- a choice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- use the sports facilities on campus.
Wageningen University & Research stimulates internal career opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are ample opportunities for own initiative in a learning environment.
We offer a versatile job in an international environment with varied activities in a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
For more information about the position, please contact Dr. Siddharth Deshpande, Assistant Professor; e-mail: email@example.com.
For more information about the selection procedure, please contact Linda Broenink, HR Advisor; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
General information about Physical Chemistry and Soft Matter chair group can be found at https://www.wur.nl/en/Research-Results/Chair-groups/Agrotechnology-and-Food-Sciences/Physical-Chemistry-and-Soft-Matter.htm
This vacancy is open until 1 March 2020. You can apply on line at: https://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs/Vacancies.htm
The mission of our University is to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life. Within Wageningen University & Research, nine specialized research institutes from the Wageningen Research Foundation and Wageningen University have joined forces to help answer the most important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment. With approximately 30 locations, 5,000 employees, and 10,000 students, it is one of the leading organizations in its domain worldwide. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of the unique approach of Wageningen.
Equal opportunities employer
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.