We are looking for
an enthousiastic veterinary epidemiologist who will:
- Contribute with your veterinary and epidemiological skills to ongoing projects on understanding and controlling infectious diseases including zoonoses.
- Analyse complex research questions by combining your veterinary and quantitative epidemiological skills.
- Employ your veterinary and epidemiological expertise to become actively involved in and/or manage (inter)national multidisciplinary projects.
- Develop and apply mathematical models to assess infection risks
- Pro-actively seek to initiate new research projects to a degree matching your seniority and experience.
- Contribute to maintaining and extending our (inter)national network of clients and peers.
- Communicate research findings through reports, peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
We seek a candidate with:
- Academic training in veterinary medicine, life sciences or natural sciences, preferably completed with a PhD degree.
- Experience in mathematical modelling in the context of risk assessment, infectious-disease epidemiology or population biology.
- Proven interest in veterinary-epidemiological research, a research background showing scientific creativity and the ability to incorporate mathematical models.
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a project driven environment; experience in project management is a plus.
- Good communication skills, including communicating results in spoken and written form preferably in Dutch and English.
- a position for 32-40 hours per week.
- a contract for a period of 1 year with possibility of extension. The location is Lelystad.
- a stimulating work environment and integration in a team of experts to develop on-the-job skills.
- The salary scale will be 10-11 of the CAO of Stichting Wageningen Research, depending on experience.
- We have modern employment conditons with 23 days of leave, with the possibility to build up another 25 (compensation) days when you choose to work 40 hours a week.
For additional information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
You can apply until June 24th. Please do not e-mail directly to the persons mentioned above, but use the website of Wageningen University & Research: http://www.wur.nl/nl/Werken-bij/Vacatures.htm
Wageningen Bioveterinary Research (WBVR) is the Dutch national reference laboratory for notifiable animal diseases and a contract research organisation for various partners nationally and internationally. Our mission is safeguarding animal and human health through bio-veterinary research. With a team of 12 the research of the Epidemiology group focuses on the following topics: design of surveillance systems for endemic and epidemic pathogens; assessment of infection and transmission risks; assessment of disease prevention and control strategies; designing, conducting and analysing transmission experiments; analysis of field data; evaluation of diagnostic tests; and epidemiological consultancy. A wide variety of disciplines, including population biology, epidemiology, veterinary medicine and mathematics are represented in the team and used to carry out both specialised and multidisciplinary projects. Our expertise is complemented by that of in-house bacteriologists, virologists and bio-informaticians, with whom the group maintains close ties and co-manages joint projects. Co-operation with other scientific disciplines within and outside Wageningen UR allows for an integrated analysis of animal disease control in which also social acceptability and economic aspects are taken into account.