Proteins form an important part of diets for humans and animals. However, the proteins we currently consume can contribute to environmental degradation. Alternative proteins are needed to shift to more sustainable, equitable and balanced protein supply and use. Do you want to gain a broad understanding of the availability, potential uses and acceptance of alternative protein sources such as insects, algae and plant proteins? How can they be used in human food and animal feed? What is their current status and how promising are they for your future business?
Then this course is something for you!
Registration deadline: 1 June 2023
Why follow this course?
After completing the course, you will have a broad understanding of alternative proteins and their applicability in practice. You will gain the latest insights into the potential and practicalities of insects, plant proteins, microalgae, macroalgae, mycoproteins and cultured meat. You will also gain the latest knowledge on using
insects to feed livestock, fish, pets and humans. This enables you to identify which protein sources are most promising for your business in the coming years.
Is this course for you?
The programme is designed for professionals who want to know more about alternative protein sources and their role in future diets of humans and animals. Professionals working in the industry, government, consultancy and related sectors are welcome as well as academics.
Programme & topics
This course consists of a mix of insightful lectures, recent findings from young WUR researchers, and ample time for discussion and networking. Together you will explore the challenges and opportunities of:
- Sustainable food systems and the protein transition
- New proteins on our plate in 2040 and their consumer acceptance
- The nutritional and health effects of insects in diets for animals and humans
- Novel proteins to feed our animals
You can find the list of speakers here.
- Course fee: € 1495,- per person and covers tuition, course materials, lunch, one dinner and refreshments.
- Between 20 and 35 participants.
- Based on your attendance you will receive a certificate after the programme is finished.