The Wageningen University & Research Library supports you in disseminating your PhD thesis. Your thesis will be archived and disseminated through Wageningen University & Research PhD theses. The Library also ensures that your PhD thesis is distributed to a range of search engines and that it is available through Narcis.
When submitting your thesis, you need to do the following three things:
1. Register for an ISBN and a DOI
- The title pages of your thesis must list an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) on the paper copy and a DOI (Digital Object Identifier) on the electronic version. These two numbers make it easy to find and to reference your thesis. You will get instructions for requesting the DOI and the ISBN from the Doctorate secretariat of the PhD services.
- Once you have submitted your thesis to the library, the library will finalise the formal registration of the ISBN and DOI. These numbers can then be used to access your thesis. Your thesis will also be available under My Publications on your MyLibrary page.
2. Submit your thesis to the library
At least two weeks before your public defense, you must submit 1 paper copy of your PhD thesis to the Doctorate secretariat of PhD services. In addition, you must submit one print copy and one digital copy of your thesis to the WUR Library.
- You can deliver the paper copy to the WUR Library in Forum, Droevendaalsesteeg 2, 6807 PG, Wageningen. You may also send your copy to Wageningen University & Research Library, Acquisitions Department, PO Box 9100, 6700 HA Wageningen.
- The digital copy must be in PDF format. The digital copy must include your thesis, your propositions and your thesis’ front and back covers in one PDF file. Password protection should be disabled. Please also check the publication name in the PDF properties.
- Send us, together with the digital copy, a summary of your PhD thesis with a maximum length of 999 words (approx. 3 pages in Word). We will add the summary to the description of your thesis.
You can submit the thesis (PDF) and the summary (text file) in one of the following ways:
- email to email@example.com
- use SURF Filesender, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Arrange an embargo if needed
Most scientific journals use plagiarism-detection software on new submissions. If your PhD thesis is publicly available through WUR Library, this software will flag your thesis as potentially plagiarised. Most journal publishers do allow you to publish part(s) of your thesis as articles, even when the thesis is publicly available. Make sure you mention in your cover letter to the journal that your manuscript is part of a publicly defended PhD thesis.
If you expect problems with journal plagiarism checks, the Library can put an embargo period on your PhD thesis. During the embargo period, your thesis will not be visible online and will not appear in plagiarism-detection software. The embargo will last for 1 year. One month before the embargo period expires, we will email you or your supervisor to ask if you want to extend the embargo. If you do not extend the embargo, or if you or your supervisor do not reply to the email within a month, the embargo will be lifted and your PhD thesis will become publicly available through Wageningen University & Research PhD theses. You can send an email to email@example.com to have an embargo placed on your thesis.
To ensure that we can reach you during this process, please send us the following two email addresses: your private email address, especially if you will no longer be affiliated with WUR in the future, and the email address of a permanent WUR staff member associated with your PhD research, e.g., your supervisor. You can send these to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you thought of publishing your data?
You may also wish to publish your thesis data. This is not required by Wageningen University & Research, but it is required by some funders and journals. The Library can help you with publishing your datasets so that you can refer to the data in your thesis. More information on long-term data storage is available at the Data Management Support.
Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.