Moving to & Living in Wageningen

Coming from abroad the Dutch culture can be both inspiring and surprising. This page is for first orientation, but also offers helpful information while you are here.

A lot of information can also be found on the Wageningen University & Research webpage for international staff.

A brief introduction to the Netherlands and Wageningen

The Netherlands

Coming from abroad the Dutch culture can be both inspiring and surprising. A lot of practical information about the Netherlands can be found on the webpage of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Wageningen Campus

Our campus is a centre where expertise and talent come together. Research, studying and business unite here and the iconic building in the middle of it all is called Forum. The main library is located here and is open 14 hours per day. 

There are several places on the campus where one can relax and have a drink with friends and colleagues. For example, 'the Spot' in Orion offers drinks, dinners and different forms of indoor recreation (table tennis, pool, table soccer), whereas lunch and dinner can be enjoyed at one of the restaurants of Campus Plaza

Nearby sports centre ‘De Bongerd’ offers over 60 different sports ranging from tennis, squash and indoor biking to football, rugby and athletics. A membership of the sports centre costs only EUR20 per month.

Read more

Wageningen City

Wageningen is situated centrally in the Netherlands. It takes 25 minutes by train from Utrecht Central Station to Ede-Wageningen and from there the Campus is a 12 minute bus ride away. 

There are historic and modern buildings, high-rise student flats, works of art and botanical gardens, adding to the diversity of Wageningen. About 10.000 students study at Wageningen University & Research, accounting for 20% of the population. The many international students, professors and researchers contribute to the vibrant atmosphere. 

Wageningen has a thriving cultural and social life. Bars, restaurants, a cinema and a theatre create the elegance of a small city, in a beautiful rural setting. The nearby floodplains of the river Rhine and national park ‘de Veluwe’ are ideal for those who enjoy nature or like hiking, running or cycling.

Useful links

Visas and resident permits for PhD candidates

At least 3 months prior to the intended date of arrival in Wageningen a candidate should be registered in the Wageningen PhD Programme via the Graduate School. See the timetable for all the steps of the PhD Programme.

Accordingly, Wageningen University & Research (WUR) assists Non-EU PhD candidates to obtain a visa. The advisers of Human Resources assist PhD candidates that are employed by Wageningen University & Research, or those that bring family members with the visa application procedure. Should a PhD candidate wish to come to the Netherlands with a spouse or partner and/or children, this needs to be discussed beforehand with the supervisor from the WUR.

For other PhD candidates a WUR contact person/supervisor can request PhD Office to assist.

PhD Office can assist with the application for a residence permit if the PhD candidate meets the following requirements:

  • The admission has been completed: diplomas or qualifying exam have been approved and proficiency in English language is considered sufficient;
  • The candidate has a scholarship or own financial funding’s for living allowances of at least EUR1286,- per month;
  • The candidate stays for a period longer that 3 months;
  • The candidate comes without family;
  • The candidate is not employed by the WUR.

The visa costs are EUR192. PhD office can also support in obtaining health insurance and third party liability insurance (for more information, consult the insurance page).

Please contact PhD Office admission and immigration for more detailed information about the procedures and necessary documents.

Long-stay visa (MVV)

PhD candidates from outside the European Union and European Free Trade Area who are planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months will need an MVV visa (authorisation for temporary stay) to enter the Netherlands.

Some nationalities are exempted from this requirement; but they do need to apply for a residence permit. Check on the website Long-stay visa from the Dutch government whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. Also, check Visas for the Netherlands for more information.

Short stay visa (VKV)

A visa for a stay of up to three months can be obtained at the Dutch embassy in your country. A Short-stay visa is not required for all nationalities, please check the Visa Advisor of the Dutch government to see what applies for you.

You can find more information about Short-stay visa on the website of the Dutch government about Short-stay Schengen visa.

Please be aware that it is not possible to change a short stay visa (VKV) into a residence permit while in the Netherlands. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to immediately apply for a long-stay visa instead.

Housing for PhD candidates

There are several other ways of finding a place to live. Because there is a high demand for student housing in Wageningen, it can be challenging to find a place to stay.

Ways to find housing:

  • Idealis. Idealis is the student accommodation provider in Wageningen, Bennekom and Ede and owns 5,400 housing units. Wageningen University PhD candidates can also rent a room from Idealis. Visit the Idealis website for the current procedure.
  • Private market
  • Searching via social media or friends.

To start your search on the private market see the links on this page.

When is a PhD candidate eligible for housing offered by Idealis?

As a PhD student you are welcome to rent from Idealis if you are a:

  • Research assistant with a PhD employment contract at WUR
  • Sandwich PhD candidate from abroad
  • Guest PhD candidate
  • External PhD candidate with an employment contract at one of the other research institutes in Wageningen or Ede.

If you are not registered in the PhD Candidates Information System (PROMIS) then you unfortunately do not belong to the target group.

You can respond to the offers from Idealis via You must create a ROOM account to be able to do this. is a national platform where rooms offered by professional corporations, including Idealis, are published and where you can respond to the offers.


  • Priority arrangements exist for sandwich PhD candidates coming to the Netherlands for the first time. Please ask your promotor/ chair group for more information.
  • Unfurnished rooms are literally unfurnished, i.e. no bed, desk, closet or curtains.

In some cases, one can receive rent subsidy from the Dutch government. Information about rent subsidy can be found via this link. Or on the site of the Dutch Tax Authorities

The Dutch healthcare system and health insurance

In the Netherlands the healthcare system is well organised. By Dutch law one is obliged to have a health insurance. Please follow this link to find out more on how the Dutch healthcare system is organised and to get an insurance.

Coming to Wageningen with a family

Coming to Wageningen with a family takes a bit more organisation than coming on your own. Please follow the link below for more information on what needs to be organised.

Costs of living

The costs of living in the Netherlands are very dependent on your way of living. Renting a student room costs can range between EUR300 and EUR500 per month. The costs of renting an apartment or small house can be EUR600 to EUR1000 per month or higher, depending on the size and state of the apartment or house.

On average, further monthly expenditure is about EUR400 which include:

  • Health insurance and legal liability insurance: approximately EUR75 per month or higher.
  • Groceries: approximately EUR300 per month

Note that costs of travel to and from the Netherlands and visa costs (EUR650 for a stay of more than three months) must also be considered.

Services to help international students and staff

Wageningen University & Research staff and PhD candidates can approach HR advisers with matters concerning legal status, problems regarding supervision or other personnel issues. For other PhD candidates, supervisors can request PhD services to assist non-Dutch PhD candidates with obtaining:

1) Visa and residence permits,

2) Health and third party liability insurances (for more information, consult the insurance page)

3) Plane tickets (only for sandwich PhD candidates with a Wageningen University & Research scholarship).

More ways to find help can be found here: