We are eager to work with you on circular livestock farming and aquaculture of the future, with a focus on:
- Environment, biodiversity, society and the farmer
- An integral (regional) approach
- Connections and interaction between land and sea
- Alternative proteins and waste streams for feed and aquaculture
- Manure and a valuable resource
- Healthy and resilient animals and aquaculture
Need for circular livestock farming
To continue to be able to feed the increasing world population in 2050, we must seek methods of production with less impact on the environment, climate and society. This requires a different approach to food production, and, thus, livestock farming and aquaculture.
A circular agrofood system is based on the tenet of optimally repurposing all biomass within the food system. Here, the role of animals is a crucial one: animals utilise waste streams and crops that humans cannot or don't want to consume, and convert these into high-quality nutrition suited for human consumption.
How can we help you?
Wageningen Livestock Research offers unique expertise. This allows us to collaborate with you towards solutions to the key challenges of livestock farming and aquaculture within the circular agrofood systems of the future. We achieve this through:
- Applied scientific research by commission
- Public-private collaboration
- European research consortiums
- Knowledge transfer, for example through workshops and webinars
We are eager to work with you towards circular livestock farming that contributes to the food supply of the future and offers new perspectives to farmers and their animals, entrepreneurs, the climate, nature and society.