In 1936, the municipality Oisterwijk started designing a permanent open air theatre. The reason: in the previous year the medieval mystery play at the Mariahof had attracted more than 20,000 spectators.
In terms of location, Bergmans advised a spot in the woods on the Gemullehoekenweg between Kruisven and Boschven. The founders, Chaplain Rovers and architect H.W. Valk (1886-1973) were inspired for their plans by the Roman theatre of Orange, in France. The municipal architect Bernard Vriens turned their sketches into building plans and John Bergmans designed the landscape framework.
Read further below