Arrival information for NON-EU students

On this page you can find important arrival information for NON-EU students. Please read it carefully.


For update information about COVID-19 take a look at this website from our government.

Compulsory negative COVID-19 test result and declaration

You must present a negative COVID-19 test result if you travel by aircraft, ship or international train to the Netherlands from a high-risk country. This is any country that is not on the list of safe countries

Negative tests results

You need to present one or more of the following documents:

1. An official negative NAAT (PCR) test result for COVID-19

This applies to almost all travelers on passenger transport. Requirements for negative NAAT (PCR) test result check this website

2. An official negative rapid test result

This applies to all travelers coming from high-risk countries by aircraft or ship who are unable to present a negative NAAT (PCR) test result based on a sample collected less than 24 hours before boarding. Requirements for negative rapid test result check this website These are different to the requirements for the NAAT (PCR) test result.

3. A completed health declaration

This applies only if you are travelling

Before you travel to the Netherlands check this checklist on the government website.


For information about getting vaccinated against COVID-19 in the Netherlands, see website from government.

  • Will international students also be vaccinated in the Netherlands?

To be eligible for vaccination, you need to be registered at a Dutch municipality for a month. After you have registered at the municipality, you will receive an invitation for a vaccine. At this moment it is not sure yet when (international) students will receive the invitation, because of the change in the current situation regarding to Corona.

The invitation will send to the address that is registered at the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). It is therefore important that this address is up to date. The invitation letter is available in English.

  • When is it my turn to get the vaccine?

See previous question. It is hard to say when you can get vaccinated because the vaccination schedule can change. At the website from government you can find more information.

  • Would it be better to get vaccinated in my home country?

It is not sure yet when (international) students can get vaccinated in the Netherlands, therefore it might be better to get vaccinated in your home country if that is possible. It is important to bring a vaccination certificate from your home country. Keep in mind that you need to arrive in The Netherlands on time to get practical things done and for when university starts.

  • Is it possible to get my second vaccination, if I had only one of the normal doses of two?

As soon you receive the invitation letter, inform the GGD that you need the second vaccination. At this moment in the Netherlands only the following vaccines are available: AstraZeneca (only for people born in 1960 or earlier), Janssen, BioNTech / Pfizer and Moderna.


Take a look at this website from our government to check whether you have to self-quarantine.

From 1 June 2021 you must quarantine if you travel/return to the Netherlands after staying in certain countries. This requirement also applies even if you have been vaccinated. More information about self-quarantine can be found here. If you do not follow the rules you will risk a fine.


All foreign students staying in the Netherlands longer than 4 months have to do municipality registration.  For registration appointment you can send an e-mail or call phone number 0317-492911. Address: Markt 22 (Publiekszaken). After you have registered you will receive your BSN (Citizen Service Number).

For the registration you need to bring:

• a printed and completed municipality registration form (download form)

• your passport and a copy passport

• your rental agreement and copy rental agreement

Please print your rental agreement before your arrival and bring it to Wageningen. When you will live in another city or village, you need to register at the municipality in that city. You can ask them about the documents you need for the registration. If you move during your stay in the Netherlands, you need to inform the municipality about your new address. For example: If you move from Bennekom to Wageningen, go to the municipality of Wageningen to register in Wageningen.

Often the municipality is confused with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). Notice not the municipality but the IND issue the residence permit.

Residence permit

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) will inform the Student Immigration Office (SIO) of Student Service Centre about your residence permit. They will inform you when and where you can collect your residence permit.


After you receive your BSN, you need to apply for your DigiD. Your DigiD allows you to identify yourself when making arrangements on the internet, such as with the government, educational institutes or/and healthcare institutions. For more information you can visit this website.

Bank account

In Wageningen you will find several bank shops where students may go to apply for a Dutch bank account. Most of these bank shops will ask you for your BSN (Citizen service number) before opening a bank account. The municipality will provide you with this BSN as soon as you are registered as a citizen of Wageningen (this procedure may take a few weeks).

To shorten this procedure we recommend students to apply for a bank account at the ABN AMRO bank. The ABN AMRO bank allows students to apply for a bank account before they have received their BSN. Contact the finance department of Student Service Centre for a bank application form.

General Practitioner (GP)

If you have a Covid-19 related question you can call this number from the Dutch government: 0800-1351 (from the Netherlands). From abroad you can call this number: 00312 0205 1351.

General Practitioner

In The Netherlands your General Practitioner (huisarts) should always be your initial contact for all medical matters. The General Practitioner (GP) is key in the world of health care, treating patients for basic non-surgical problems and providing consultations for most of your general health questions. The GP also serves as your link to most other services such as hospitalisation, specialists, midwifery, physiotherapy, etc. If necessary, the GP can refer you to a medical specialist at short notice. The GP keeps your medical record up to date and prescribes your medication.

How to find a GP?

You should register with a GP upon arrival in The Netherlands. You can choose your GP yourself. When choosing a GP, make sure you feel comfortable with them, as changing a GP once registered is discouraged and rarely done. Some GP’s may not accept any new patients as they are already filled to capacity. To find a local GP you can search on this website. The Student Medical Center Wageningen (not part of Wageningen University) accepts new patients and are experienced in typical student related problems. You can register here.

Visiting your GP

In case of illness as well as for general consultations on less urgent matters, first phone your GP. A trained medical assistant will answer your call and note your complaints in order to properly schedule your appointment.


Wageningen has several dentist’ (tandarts) centres where you can register, which is advisable when you are staying in the Netherlands for a longer period of time.

Dental treatment is not always covered by medical insurance, please ask your insurance company for its dental regulations. For AON check the website.

Looking for a dentist in Wageningen? On this website you can search for a dentist, based on place, zip code or dentist name. There is also a quality register for dentists (KRT) with several dentist in Wageningen. You can check the website (Dutch).


Medical emergencies:

After office hours (weekend/evening/ night) you can go to the Huisartsenpost Gelderse Vallei (Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede). This is only for medical problems which are urgent and cannot wait until the next day. You always have to call first for an appointment (0318) 200 800. When you reach Gelderse Vallei Ziekenhuis please follow the signs: Spoedzorg. Always check if the treatment required is covered by your insurance before you go to the hospital!

Other emergencies:

The main emergency number for most European countries is 112.

Need a dentist for emergency:

After working hours, during the weekend or on national holidays, a dentist can be reached for emergencies by phone 0318-611888. The medical dentists post is located in the hospital in Ede. Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede.


You will certainly need a bike while in the Netherlands! If you are you can buy a secondhand or a brand- new bike. Note: Please visit cycling to read more about the cycling rules in the Netherlands.

Public transport

- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings

Find more about how the public transportation system works in the Netherlands public transport. You will need an OV-Chipkaart to pay for buses, trams, trains and metros. In order to travel with the train and bus, we advice you to buy a ov-chipkaart at Schiphol service points. Please visit ov chipkaart to find out how to buy an anonymous or a personalized ov card.

*Wear a face mask when you travel with public transport, otherwise you will risk a fine.

Health insurance

- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings

Information Aon Basic Healthcare Insurance -> download folder

What does Aon Student Insurance cover? Download Leaflet FAQ’s

Are you planning to work while studying in The Netherlands? Here you can find more information.


Most of the shops are located along and around the main street in the city centre (Hoogstraat). Every Wednesday (8:30 –13:00) and Saturday (8:30–17:00) there is an open market located in the city centre around the big church (Grote Kerk in Dutch). You can find all kinds of foods and products generally cheaper than in the supermarkets and shops.

You can find ATM in all banks, but also at Jumbo (Tarthorst 1223) and Hema (Hoogstraat 59). Doing groceries during quarantine see for more information the website.

Face mask

As of 1 December, face masks are mandatory in all public buildings and covered spaces, in education, public transport and contact professions. Wear a face mask otherwise you will risk a fine of 95 euro.

Online Infopoint

If you looking for information about study in Wageningen or to help you to make an appointment for the municipality the InfoPoint can help you! You can send an e-mail with your question(s) or make an appointment for a virtual meeting.

Student life

Wageningen has many cafes, pubs and bars for you to meet your new friends and relax a bit from the student life. Most of them are around the big church, at Hoogstraat or in the little streets that cross Hoogstraat. Go for a walk and discover what they have to offer you! Sports & outdoor activities If you feel more adventurous, Wageningen offers a great possibility to explore the nature in its surroundings. For example, you can go for a walk and explore the Uiterwaarden, area nearby the river Rijn.

WUR card

All students receive a WURcard after their registration. The WURcard provides access to a number of buildings and labs (especially during weekends and holidays) and functions as identification in the library when borrowing books. You can also use your WURcard to use the printers and purchase from the vending machines for snacks and coffee. However, to be able to do so, you need to top up credit to your WURcard. For more information wurcard You will need your WURcard to access the Sports Centre de Bongerd (SCB) facilities. For more information, see the website Bongerd.

Free social Dutch courses for WUR students

Are you a student who would like to be able to speak Dutch? Or read labels in the supermarket, ask a shop assistant where you can find a particular item or have a chat with your neighbours? And on top of that, would you like to know about typical aspects of Dutch culture, both within and outside the academic world? In that case, the Social Dutch courses of Wageningen in’to Languages are just the thing for you.


For information about student housing, see the website about housing. If you already have a room with Idealis, you can collect your key at Idealis (Bornsesteeg 3).

If you are still looking for a room, you can contact Housingdesk Wageningen to find more about housing options in Wageningen. Note: Be aware of fraud in the private market.

Other practical information

Other practical information: Internet and WiFi on campus: mobile device.

Find your study advisor here.

There is also an international students blog about student life.

AID from 11 - 14 and 16 - 19 August 2021

The AID of 2021 takes place from 11-14 and 16-19 August 2021! As a participant you will be assigned to one of the AID's based on your study. The programme for the AID 2021 has not been finalized yet. When it is ready you can find information on the website AID.