Arrival information for NON-EU students

Last update: 27/07/2021

On this page you can find important arrival information for NON-EU students. Please read it carefully.


For update information about COVID-19 take a look at this website from our government.

Compulsory negative COVID-19 test result and declaration

You must present a negative COVID-19 test result if you travel by aircraft, ship or international train to the Netherlands from a high-risk country. This is any country that is not on the list of safe countries

Negative tests results

You need to present one or more of the following documents:

1. An official negative NAAT (PCR) test result for COVID-19

This applies to almost all travelers on passenger transport. Requirements for negative NAAT (PCR) test result check this website

2. An official negative rapid test result

This applies to all travelers coming from high-risk countries by aircraft or ship who are unable to present a negative NAAT (PCR) test result based on a sample collected less than 24 hours before boarding. Requirements for negative rapid test result check this website These are different to the requirements for the NAAT (PCR) test result.

3. A completed health declaration

This applies only if you are travelling

Before you travel to the Netherlands check this checklist on the government website.


For information about getting vaccinated against COVID-19 in the Netherlands, see website from government.

  • Will international students also be vaccinated in the Netherlands?

It is possible to get vaccinated in the Netherlands. The university is in the process of having the Public Health Service (GGD) come to the campus for student vaccination at the end of August. You can sign up here. It is important that you register with the municipality upon arrival. Registration at the municipality can be done here. For information about vaccination, check this website.

  • When is it my turn to get the vaccine?

At the website from government you can find more information.

  • Would it be better to get vaccinated in my home country?

It is not sure yet when (international) students can get vaccinated in the Netherlands, therefore it might be better to get vaccinated in your home country if that is possible. It is important to bring a vaccination certificate from your home country. Keep in mind that you need to arrive in The Netherlands on time to get practical things done and for when university starts.

  • Is it possible to get my second vaccination in the Netherlands?

I received a first vaccination abroad and have yet to get a second shot for full vaccination. How can I make an appointment for this? You can get a second vaccination in the Netherlands. For this you need to fill in a web form. You will then receive an invitation for the 2nd vaccine.

More information can be found here.

  • My first vaccine is not mentioned on the list, what will be my second vaccine?

You have received a first vaccination abroad and need a second jab. Or you have received a first vaccination from a healthcare provider who cannot give you a second jab. Fill in this application form, after sending this form you will receive a confirmation.


From 1 June 2021 you must quarantine if you travel/return to the Netherlands after staying in certain countries. This requirement also applies even if you have been vaccinated. More information about self-quarantine can be found here.

Students from very high risk countries are required to self-quarantine upon arrival in the Netherlands. On this website you can find the list of countries and areas that are considered very high risk.

To check whether people comply with the quarantine obligation, a call team has been set up, led by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, which calls people on a random basis. If, based on background noise, the call team suspects that you are not at the quarantine address, a report can be sent to the municipality. Non-compliance with the quarantine obligation can be punished by the mayor with an administrative fine of € 339,-

Countries and regions that are not mentioned on the list of safe countries or on the list of very high risk, these regions are considered high-risk areas. Students from high-risk areas we strongly advise to go in self-quarantine upon arrival. This is to prevent the possible spread of the virus. To prepare yourself, we made a website for you with all the information about quarantine.

Can I shorten the quarantine period?

You must self-quarantine for 10 days if you travelling to the Netherlands after staying in an area where the risk of coronavirus infection is very high. This quarantine requirement applies even if you have proof of vaccination or proof of recovery. If you get tested on day 5 you might be able to shorten the quarantine period.

Appointment for testing

You can call 0800 1202 to make an appointment. If you are calling from a foreign phone, you can call +31 85 065 9063.

More information about help and support when self-quarantining can be found here.

Quarantine buddy

Wageningen University can set you up with a buddy volunteer to support you during your quarantine. This buddy could help you out with grocery shopping and answer practical questions about living and studying in Wageningen, or simply be someone to talk to. If you want to sign up for a buddy, please fill out this form and we will send you more information.


All foreign students staying in the Netherlands longer than 4 months have to do municipality registration.  For registration appointment you can send an e-mail or call phone number 0317-492911. Address: Markt 22 (Publiekszaken). After you have registered you will receive your BSN (Citizen Service Number).

For the registration you need to bring:

• a printed and completed municipality registration form (download form)

• your passport and a copy passport

• your rental agreement and copy rental agreement

Please print your rental agreement before your arrival and bring it to Wageningen. When you will live in another city or village, you need to register at the municipality in that city. You can ask them about the documents you need for the registration. If you move during your stay in the Netherlands, you need to inform the municipality about your new address. For example: If you move from Bennekom to Wageningen, go to the municipality of Wageningen to register in Wageningen.

Often the municipality is confused with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). Notice not the municipality but the IND issue the residence permit.

Annual Introduction Days

The Annual Introduction Days (AID) will take place in August (either 11-14 August or 16-19 August). It depends on your study programme to which AID you will be assigned to. We encourage all our new student to sign up for the AID. See the AID website for more information.

Deadline to sign up: 16th of July.

We advise our new students to join the Annual Introduction days (AID) see the website AID. The students get to know the campus, study advisor, the classmates, the University and all the other things that Wageningen has to offer.

You have to take into account the quarantine period when you want to join the Annual Introduction days (AID). More information about self-quarantine can be found here.

If you cannot join the AID, you can also join the online only AID. You can sign up here.

Bring your own device/laptop (BYOD)

A laptop is indispensable for students. For activities such as computer practical’s and groupwork the use of your own laptop is the standard. Also, for exams it is important to have a laptop that meets the WUR requirements

Since next year more exams will take place on campus, likely on your own laptop.

If you have any questions or need help for all laptop models:

Visit: ServicePoint IT, Forum reception desk
Call: Servicedesk IT (31) 317 4 88888

Residence permit

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) will inform the Student Immigration Office (SIO) of Student Service Centre about your residence permit. They will inform you when and where you can collect your residence permit.


After you receive your BSN, you need to apply for your DigiD. Your DigiD allows you to identify yourself when making arrangements on the internet, such as with the government, educational institutes or/and healthcare institutions. For more information you can visit this website.

Bank account

As a student in the Netherlands, you have a number of choices when it comes to opening a student bank account.

There are four main banks in the Netherlands, which international students tend to open an account at: ABN AMRO, Bunq, ING and Rabobank. Unfortunately not all of them are in the English language.

The student accounts are offered under special conditions that fit the need of international students.

It is recommended to check what is required by the specific bank in advance. In case of a proof of enrolment, you can download this yourself in Osiris.

The monthly fee is relatively low, from free up to around € 4.00 per month.

Here you can you can find a table that can serve as a guideline for opening an account at these four banks.

We advise all international students to bring cash and/or a credit card when travelling to the Netherlands.  


For information about student housing, see the website about housing. If you already have a room with Idealis, you can collect your key at Idealis (Bornsesteeg 3). Note: At this moment international students can apply for a room. We noticed that a lot of students don't reply or apply for rooms. Please apply for several rooms (for example 5 rooms), and also reply if you received confirmation for a room, otherwise the room will go to the next student. Applying for one room does not mean you will get that room. To assure you will get a room, it is better to be not too pick and accept a room. It is easier to move when you have settled down in Wageningen.

If you are still looking for a room, you can contact Housingdesk Wageningen to find more about housing options in Wageningen. Note: Be aware of fraud in the private market.

General Practitioner (GP)

If you have a Covid-19 related question you can call this number from the Dutch government: 0800-1351 (from the Netherlands). From abroad you can call this number: 00312 0205 1351.

General Practitioner

In The Netherlands your General Practitioner (huisarts) should always be your initial contact for all medical matters. The General Practitioner (GP) is key in the world of health care, treating patients for basic non-surgical problems and providing consultations for most of your general health questions. The GP also serves as your link to most other services such as hospitalisation, specialists, midwifery, physiotherapy, etc. If necessary, the GP can refer you to a medical specialist at short notice. The GP keeps your medical record up to date and prescribes your medication.

How to find a GP?

You should register with a GP upon arrival in The Netherlands. You can choose your GP yourself. When choosing a GP, make sure you feel comfortable with them, as changing a GP once registered is discouraged and rarely done. Some GP’s may not accept any new patients as they are already filled to capacity. To find a local GP you can search on this website. The Student Medical Center Wageningen (not part of Wageningen University) accepts new patients and are experienced in typical student related problems. You can register here.

Visiting your GP

In case of illness as well as for general consultations on less urgent matters, first phone your GP. A trained medical assistant will answer your call and note your complaints in order to properly schedule your appointment.


Wageningen has several dentist’ (tandarts) centres where you can register, which is advisable when you are staying in the Netherlands for a longer period of time.

Dental treatment is not always covered by medical insurance, please ask your insurance company for its dental regulations. For AON check the website.

Looking for a dentist in Wageningen? On this website you can search for a dentist, based on place, zip code or dentist name. There is also a quality register for dentists (KRT) with several dentist in Wageningen. You can check the website (Dutch).


Medical emergencies:

After office hours (weekend/evening/ night) you can go to the Huisartsenpost Gelderse Vallei (Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede). This is only for medical problems which are urgent and cannot wait until the next day. You always have to call first for an appointment (0318) 200 800. When you reach Gelderse Vallei Ziekenhuis please follow the signs: Spoedzorg. Always check if the treatment required is covered by your insurance before you go to the hospital!

Other emergencies:

The main emergency number for most European countries is 112.

Need a dentist for emergency:

After working hours, during the weekend or on national holidays, a dentist can be reached for emergencies by phone 0318-611888. The medical dentists post is located in the hospital in Ede. Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede.


You will certainly need a bike while in the Netherlands! If you are you can buy a secondhand or a brand- new bike. Note: Please visit cycling to read more about the cycling rules in the Netherlands.

Public transport

- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings

Find more about how the public transportation system works in the Netherlands public transport. You will need an OV-Chipkaart to pay for buses, trams, trains and metros. In order to travel with the train and bus, we advice you to buy a ov-chipkaart at Schiphol service points. Please visit ov chipkaart to find out how to buy an anonymous or a personalized ov card.

*Wear a face mask when you travel with public transport, otherwise you will risk a fine.

Health insurance

To inform all (new) international students about the Aon Student Insurance, Aon will host a webinar including a Q&A for Non-EU students international students.

Please register through the link. For information or do you have questions you can send an e-mail to

Webinar Aon Student Insurance Non-EU Students

When                 : 25th August, 2021

Time                    : 14.00 o’clock until 15.00 o’clock

Link                     :

- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings

Information Aon Basic Healthcare Insurance -> download folder

What does Aon Student Insurance cover? Download Leaflet FAQ’s

Are you planning to work while studying in The Netherlands? Here you can find more information.


Most of the shops are located along and around the main street in the city centre (Hoogstraat). Every Wednesday (8:30 –13:00) and Saturday (8:30–17:00) there is an open market located in the city centre around the big church (Grote Kerk in Dutch). You can find all kinds of foods and products generally cheaper than in the supermarkets and shops.

You can find ATM in all banks, but also at Jumbo (Tarthorst 1223) and Hema (Hoogstraat 59). Doing groceries during quarantine see for more information the website.

Face mask

As of 1 December, face masks are mandatory in all public buildings and covered spaces, in education, public transport and contact professions. Wear a face mask otherwise you will risk a fine of 95 euro.

Student life

Wageningen has many cafes, pubs and bars for you to meet your new friends and relax a bit from the student life. Most of them are around the big church, at Hoogstraat or in the little streets that cross Hoogstraat. Go for a walk and discover what they have to offer you! Sports & outdoor activities If you feel more adventurous, Wageningen offers a great possibility to explore the nature in its surroundings. For example, you can go for a walk and explore the Uiterwaarden, area nearby the river Rijn.

WUR card

All students receive a WURcard after their registration. The WURcard provides access to a number of buildings and labs (especially during weekends and holidays) and functions as identification in the library when borrowing books. You can also use your WURcard to use the printers and purchase from the vending machines for snacks and coffee. However, to be able to do so, you need to top up credit to your WURcard. For more information wurcard You will need your WURcard to access the Sports Centre de Bongerd (SCB) facilities. For more information, see the website Bongerd.

Free social Dutch courses for WUR students

Are you a student who would like to be able to speak Dutch? Or read labels in the supermarket, ask a shop assistant where you can find a particular item or have a chat with your neighbours? And on top of that, would you like to know about typical aspects of Dutch culture, both within and outside the academic world? In that case, the Social Dutch courses of Wageningen in’to Languages are just the thing for you.


  • When should I arrive in Wageningen?

We advice to arrive in the week of 16th of August. You need time to arrange different things, for example make an appointment with the Municipality and you will have enough time to prepare yourself for the new academic year which starts on 30th of August.

  • Where can I find Internet and WiFi on campus?

More information can be found here: mobile device.

  • Where can I find my study advisor?

More information about study advisor can be found here.

  • I want to read more about experiences from other international students, where can I find that?

There is an international students blog about student life.

  • Where can I buy my furniture for my room?

Online shops: For example Ikea. Buy furniture together with other students, so that you can share the delivery costs.

Second hand furniture: You can buy it second hand from students. There is a Facebook page where students sell their furniture, it is called 'Wageningen student plaza'. It is also possible to buy second hand furniture from the second hand shop. Google: Restore Ede or Kringloop Weldaad Wageningen.