The course consists of five sessions focusing on a selection of the following topics (as appropriate for the group):
- Setting the stage for a great lecture: effective teaching in a foreign language.
- Lecturing language: using the appropriate (academic) vocabulary to structure lectures.
- Improving your grammar awareness: understand what errors are confusing for students and how to avoid them
- Pronunciation and use of voice: using intonation, rhythm, pacing as tools in your lesson to improve intelligibility and avoid the irritation factor.
- Explaining complex data and describing visuals in English: labelling, highlighting, describing trends and using images.
- Managing questions and discussions: how to start, guide and encourage discussions in class, taking cross-cultural differences in interaction styles into account.
- Caring about the listener and promoting understanding. How do you check whether (international) students understand you and create a productive learning environment?
Self study assignments
In addition to these sessions, you are required to complete self-study assignments via Brightspace. These assignments will consist of language exercises, analysis of lectures and talks, readings and discussions on academic literature about English Medium Instruction (EMI) and the preparation short tasks and your own online mini-lecture. Self-study will take around 2-3 hours before or after each session, depending on the individual learning needs of the participant.
Dates and times
Classes take place from 10-12 each day in Virtual Classroom via Brightspace. Afternoons should be reserved for self-study.
Please notice: limited availability (maximum participants 8)
After finishing all modules and submitting the required assignments, you will receive a certificate confirming that you have completed the course.
Registration and admission requirements
- C1/C2 (CEFR)
- An Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) score of 80+ is required.
How can I sign up for the OOPT test?
REGISTER HERE AFTER THE OOPT TEST