Content of the programme
A sandwich PhD candidate spends the first part (around nine months) of the PhD project at Wageningen University. During this time the research proposal is expanded and a tailor-made education and training programme is started up. Where possible and applicable, research is also started.
The next thirty months are spent conducting research in the home country of the candidate under the supervision of a local supervisor who is also the copromotor. Sandwich PhD candidates have regular (online) contact with their supervisors at Wageningen University. Sandwich PhD candidates often return to Wageningen for short visits, and a Wageningen University supervisor will, during critical times of the research, visit the PhD candidate’s home institute.
After the research in the home country is finished, the candidate returns to Wageningen University to finish the PhD thesis, which takes approximately nine months. The local supervisor will act as copromotor at the graduation ceremony.
- WU promotors can submit one application.
- A budget of €70.000 is provided to cover living allowance for a total of 18 months in Wageningen, (partial) travel costs of candidate and WU/local supervisors, visa application costs, and use of facilities, such as the WUR library, ICT network, office space, access to the campus buildings, sports centre. The applicants should guarantee the additional (research) budget needed.
- The applicants should guarantee the additional (research) budget needed.
- The candidate should possess a Master degree which is recognised by Wageningen University at the time of submission.
- The candidate should possess a proof of English proficiency required for the Wageningen University PhD programme
- The candidate should be a national of an eligible country.
- The candidate should start the PhD project and hence the stay at Wageningen University in 2021.
- The candidate should have a clear link to the home institute. Candidates who are employed or remain to be employed at the home institute after completion of the PhD programme will receive priority.
- Including quality and infrastructure of supervising groups, institutional support and quality of the relationship between home institute and WU.
- Including motivation and CV.
- Including originality, clarity and feasibility.
Funding of the programme includes €70.000 to cover:
- PhD living alowance for a total of 18 months in Wageningen
- (partial) reimbursements for travel costs of candidate, WU supervisor and local supervisors
- visa application costs
- use of facilities.
The WU promotor submits the application form and all required documents in one compiled file (digital only) to firstname.lastname@example.org before 19 May 2021.