Here, you will find the series of VC4PD Briefs resulting from pilot studies in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda and Uganda. The briefs present and summarise key findings and discussion. Parallel to this series of briefs, the programme publishes VC4PD Research Papers, which contain more elaborate empirical evidence and conceptual debate.
- Functions and spin-offs of multistakeholder platforms in commodity sector: a discussion for the Ugandan Oilseed Subsector Platform (OSSUP) Giel Ton and Sietze Vellema VC4PD Brief 1 April 2010 (135,98 kb)
- The bulking challenge in the oilseeds subsector Giel Ton, David Moses Opeero and Sietze Vellema VC4PD Brief 2 April 2010 (94,56 kb)
- Technological upgrading and innovative capacity in the Ugandan oilseeds subsector Sietze Vellema VC4PD Brief 3 April 2010 In collaboration with Dorothy Nakimbugwe, Robert Nayebare, Ronald Lulijwa (Makerere University); Ray Agong (Uganda Oilseed Producers and Processors Association - UOSPA), Moses Oremo Opio (District Agricultural Office Lira / Van Hall Larenstein University) (109,89 kb)
- Sesame markets in Ethiopia: a baseline survey Sorsa Debela Gelalcha VC4PD Brief 4 June 2010 (162,46 kb)
- Ethiopian commodity exchange and niche markets Jennie van der Mheen - Sluijer VC4PD Brief 5 June 2010 (156,43 kb)
- Can the HCDA Code of Conduct serve as an example for Ethiopia? Yuca Waarts & Gerdien Meijerink VC4PD Brief 6 June 2010.pdf (199,73 kb)
- Will the ECX make farmers and traders more market savvy? Francesco Cecchi & Gerdien Meijerink VC4PD Brief 7 June 2010 (206,79 kb)
- The ECX and sesame: an overview Dawit Alemu VC4PD Brief 8 June 2010 (209,77 kb)
- Contract farming: some lessons for Ethiopia Ayelech Tiruwha Melese VC4PD Brief 9 June 2010 (155,76 kb)
- Managing dependencies and scale in value chain interventions Sietze Vellema VC4PD Brief 10 April 2011 (122,77 kb)
- Learning from real life cases for scaling sustainability in value chains Dave Boselie and Sietze Vellema VC4PD Brief 11 April 2011 (150,66 kb)
- Development impacts of value chain interventions - a knowledge agenda Sietze Vellema and Bert Helmsing VC4PD Brief 12 April 2011 (96,62 kb)
- Priority setting in value chains: continuous and inclusive improvement Dave Boselie and Sietze Vellema VC4PD Brief 13 April 2011 (905,15 kb)
- Giving credit to sesame Francesco Cecchi & Jennie van der Mheen - Sluijer VC4PD Brief 14 November 2011 (690,48 kb)
- Transaction costs for Ethiopian sesame farmers Jennie van der Mheen - Sluijer & Francesco Cecchi VC4PD Brief 15 September 2011 (674,62 kb)
- Contracting Ethiopian sesame farmers Jennie van der Mheen - Sluijer & Francesco Cecchi VC4PD Brief 16 October 2011 (374,83 kb)
VC4PD Research Papers
The VC4PD Research Papers series is launched under theme Sustainable Agro-Supply Chains:
- Sesame trade arrangements, costs and risks in Ethiopia: A baseline survey Sorsa Debela Gelalcha VC4PD Research Paper #1 February 2009 (806,99 kb)
- Contract farming in Ethiopia: An overview with focus on sesame Ayelech Tiruwha Melese VC4PD Research Paper #2 June 2010 (442,35 kb)
- Ethiopian commodity exchange and contract farming arrangements: Complementing institutions Jennie van der Mheen-Sluijer VC4PD Research Paper #3 June 2010 (381,93 kb)
- The HCDA Code of Conduct in Kenya: Impact on transaction costs and risks Yuca Waarts & Gerdien Meijerink VC4PD Research Paper #4 June 2010 (273,28 kb)
- The Ethiopian Commodity Exchange (ECX) An overview Dawit Alemu and Gerdien Meijerink VC4PD Research Paper #5 June 2010 (667,58 kb)
- Does Market Experience Shape Behaviour? Experimental Evidence From Rural Ethiopia Francesco Cecchi VC4PD Research Paper #6 June 2010.pdf (659,57 kb)
- "How do we get it to the mill?" A study on bulking arrangements that enable sourcing from smallholders in the Ugandan vegetable oil chain Giel Ton, David Moses Opeero and Sietze Vellema VC4PD Research Paper #7 July 2010 (648,46 kb)
- Sesame traders and the ECX An overview with focus transaction costs and risks Dawit Alemu & Gerdien W. Meijerink VC4PD Research Paper #8 July 2010 (372,57 kb)
- Buying, Ploughing and Coordinating How to make the 2-tier cooperative business model work in the Zambezian rice value chain? Sietze Vellema, Wouter Beekman and Bart Doorneweert VC4PD Research Paper #9 April 2011 (538,46 kb)
- Coordination horizontale au sein de la filière karité du Burkina Faso: services offerts par des organisations nationales Mathieu Briard et Jennie van der Mheen-Sluijer VC4PD Research Paper #10 Juillet 2011 (686,36 kb)
- Historique de la filière karité au Burkina Faso et des services offerts par les partenaires techniques et financiers aux acteurs Zacharie Badini, Moïse Kaboré, Jennie van der Mheen- Sluijer et Sietze Vellema VC4PD Research Paper #11 Juillet 2011_Burkina.pdf (695,01 kb)
- Le marché du karité et ses évolutions: quel positionnement pour le REKAF Zacharie Badini, Moïse Kaboré, Jennie van der Mheen – Sluijer et Sietze Vellema VC4PD Research Paper #12 Juillet 2011 (714,32 kb)
- Benefiting from the gold rush: Improving smallholder sesame production in Ethiopia through contract farming Jennie van der Mheen-Sluijer and Francesco Cecchi VC4PD Research Paper #13 June 2011 (842,49 kb)
- Chaînes de valeur de la filière karité au Burkina Faso Zacharie Badini, Moïse Kaboré, Jennie van der Mheen – Sluijer et Sietze Vellema VC4PD Research Paper #14 Août 2011 (657,79 kb)
- Rice farmers, local markets and rice trade: A case study of local market dynamics in Mozambique and its implications for a cooperative model Wouter Beekman and Sietze Vellema VC4PD Research Paper #15 November 2011 (783,55 kb)
- Enabling social capital formation: upscaling bulking arrangements in the Ugandan oilseed sector Giel Ton, David Moses Opeero, Sietze Vellema VC4PD Research Paper #16 March 2011 (371,57 kb)
VC4PD Program publications
In this section you find documents that represent the programmatic orientation of the implemented action research cum pilot studies on Value Chains for Pro-poor Development (VC4PD).
A set of documents informed the development of the programme, which was done in close collabration with practicitioners and policy. Firstly, a focus document presenting rational, motivation and scope as well as a brief description of the six implemented pilot studies. Secondly, a reader prepared for a Strategic Conference in July 2008, presenting 7 concept notes of possible pilot studies; these concept notes resulted from a call for cooperation in the networks of AgriProfocus, Agriterra and the Netherlands embassies in Africa. The concept notes were written on the basis of intense dialogues with partners in Africa and the Netherlands. The Strategic Conference guided the programme towards a stronger coherency and led to the choice for pilot studies in the context of value chains managing the production and trade of non-perishable products.
Programme - final report
A section dedicated to the Value Chains for Pro-poor Development programme is included in the final report of the DGIS-WUR Partnership Programme 2006-2010 'Globalization and Sustainable Rural Development'. The section presents lessons and insights derived from action researches in 6 countries: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, and Uganda.
Sietze Vellema (2012). Value Chains for Pro-Poor Development (VC4PD). In: Wageningen UR. Globalization and Sustainable Rural Development; DGIS-Wageningen UR Partnershp Programme 2006-2010. Wageningen UR (University and Research Centre), Wageningen International, Wageningen, the Netherlands, pp. 20-40.