Who can apply for a visa and residence permit?
The PhD office can arrange your visa and residence permit if:
- You have been admitted to the WU PhD programme (diplomas or qualifying exam have been approved and proficiency in the English language is considered sufficient);
- You do not bring a family with you;
- You have a scholarship or own financing for living allowances of at least the amount that the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service requires. This amount is adjusted twice a year on 1 January and 1 July and is € 1304,10/month between 1 July 2021 and 1 January 2022;
- You are not employed by WUR;
- You stay for a period longer than 3 months;
- A complete submission is sent to the PhD office at the latest 11 weeks before the intended start of the visa (6 weeks for the extension of existing permits).
The visa costs are € 192,-. These and any other additional costs related to the migration will be passed on to the chair group.
How to apply
Send all documents stated below in one email to the PhD office via PhD.email@example.com.
After the positive decision from the IND, an e-mail with instructions for collecting the MVV entry visa will be sent. The MVV entry visa allows the candidate to enter the Netherlands and travel within the Schengen area.
(NOTE: all documents that must be signed by the PhD candidate must be checked for the right signature. The signature must be the same as on the passport)
- The forms antecedents certificate, permission to use personal details and information form PhD candidates filled in by the candidate;
- The information form chair group filled in by the contact person from the chair group;
- A clear scan of the passport (personal details and stamped pages). The passport should be valid for a minimum of 6 months and include at least two blank pages, it must also be signed;
- An invitation letter in PDF format, signed by the promotor;
- The signed form: Hosting agreement PhD office. Please see the instruction ;
Proof of sufficient finances for the requested period of residence consisting of:
If you have any questions, please contact the PhD Office via PhD.firstname.lastname@example.org.