There are lots of possibilities to do research training (internships) at home and abroad. Many industrial companies and sometimes also research institutes and universities offer internships.

General Information

Some companies even offer permanent placements such as Unilever research laboratories Vlaardingen and subsidiary companies as Croklaan Wormerveer or IGLO-OLA Hellendoorn. Other placements are available at MARS (Veghel or Slough, GB), Sara Lee (Douwe Egberts, Utrecht), DSM Food Specialties Delft, Purac Gorinchem, AVEBE Foxhol, Johma Salads Losser, Silvo Food Ingredients Papendrecht. Quest offers placements in Naarden and Merseyside (GB) or Cork (Ireland) as well. These are few examples of possibilities. Internships abroad are often located at universities, however also industrial companies offer trainee ships, e.g. Nestle (Switzerland), Givaudan Roure (Switzerland) of Heinz Company (Pittsburgh US). In other continents as Australia, New Zealand and the US or Canada often universities offer possibilities for Wageningen Food Science students. It is also possible to find placements in former Eastern European countries, in Africa or South America.

Internship coordinator

For the precise addresses contact your internship coordinator: Jenneke Heising.

Frequently asked questions

  • What is the minimal duration of an internship period?
    A duration of minimal 24 ECTS (= 4 month’s) is compulsory. The internship period is scheduled in the 2nd year of the Master.
  • Is it allowed to take more than 24 ECTS of internships during the studies?
    Yes, but it depends on the available time.
  • Does the Wageningen University organise the internships?
    No, you have to contact other universities/institutes/industries by yourself. An internship coordinator will help you to find the right placements.
  • How do I organise an internship?
    Contact your internship coordinator. Please, think about what you want (at home or abroad; duration; industry or not; subject). Internet and scientific literature can help you in finding placements too.
  • Is it preferable to do a MSc thesis first and after that an internship?
    It depends on the situation. After doing an MSc thesis first, you will have more profits from the internship period, because of a certain experience and. However, it may be happen that a fantastic internship subject is available in a fantastic city and environment, then you should do that first. Usually students choose for doing the MSc thesis first.
  • How much time I need for organising an internship?
    As a directive you should start 4-6 months ahead. Generally, you need more time as the internship placement is far away (e.g. in another continent). If you are planning to move to another continent and especially if you need visa, it is advisable to start 6 months ahead. Internships at home can be organised in a relative shorter time.
  • How do I contact a possible placement?
    The best way is to use email. Include always a CV and motivation letter. If the placement does not react in a period of 14 days, please call by phone and ask if there are possibilities.
  • Are there any grants available?
    Finding grants is difficult. From time to time there are other possibilities, funded by the European Union (e.g. Socrates, Leonardo da Vinci). The university does not participate permanently in these programs. Ask your internship coordinator for more information.
  • Which agreements I have to make with a placement?
    1. Starting- and end date; 2. Subject; 3. Allowance; 4. Housing; 5. Maybe allowance in cost of travelling and housing; 6. How to meet each other for the first time; 7. Reporting and confidentiality. Probably you have to sign a confidentiality agreement.
  • How is the internship graded?
    An evaluation form (to be filled up by your industrial supervisor) and the report will be used for proposing the final grade.
  • Do I get a University supervisor?
    Yes, you will get a university supervisor at one of the respective groups.
  • What else is important to know?
    Insurance for travelling: The Wageningen University will pay for you. Please go for this matter to the student desk in Forum.
    Visa: getting the right papers and visa needs lots of time. Generally a statement of both University (internship coordinator) and internship placement is needed.
    “OV jaarkaart”: Use the standard form and let sign by your internship coordinator and stamp by your department.
    Health insurance: Please check at the insurance company if all necessary things are covered.