The internship is a compulsory part of the study at the Wageningen University and is scheduled in the MSc programme. Below you will find frequently asked questions regarding internships.
1. What is the duration of an internship?
Many MSc. programmes allow internships to range in duration to cover 24 to 39 ECTS. We advise to opt for an internship of at least 36 ECTS to enhance your candidacy. It will take a few months to get acquainted and started in a new environment. Therefore companies or institutes in general prefer students that after those first months have more time to provide results and data. In addition, this will also benefit you most as more experience equals a better starting position of your career.
2. How long in advance it is advised to start the arrangements?
When you will remain in the Netherlands it is advised to start looking for a position half a year in advance. If you plan to go abroad, it is advised to start looking sooner as housing and/or visa arrangements might require more time (see also question 10).
3. Is it advised to finish the MSc thesis first?
Yes. An MSc. thesis brings about experience on a personal and scientific level that is the ideal basis for performing an internship off campus. You will have learned to work independently and reflected on qualities you want to further improve.
4. Does the Wageningen University arrange the internship?
No. It is the responsibility of the student to reach out based on their own interests. The internship coordinator (email@example.com) can help you to identify which field of study will fit you best and provide you with some options. Also some organizations can help you in finding a placement (www.integrand.nl, www.wilweg.nl).
5. How do I arrange an internship?
When you have identified in which field of study you want to learn more, you create a short list of companies, institutes and/or university groups you want to contact in consultancy with the coordinator. You visit their homepages to inform yourself and prepare your CV and motivation letter. Finally you reach out to the respective contact persons, usually by email, and include firstname.lastname@example.org in CC.
6. Are grants available?
It is difficult to find grants. Sometimes there are options through EU programmes, such as Erasmus/Socrates, Leonardo da Vinci, Food Atlantic. However, the Wageningen University is not permanently involved in all programmes.
The Student Grants programme is an initiative funded by CasaSwap.com, www.casaswap.com, a free, worldwide student housing service.
7. Which agreements have to be made with the internship placement?
Agreements about the following elements are necessary:
- start- and end date
- finishing written report (confidentiality?)
- intermediate evaluation
- allowance for travelling and housing
8. How are the rules about marking the internship?
A mark is based on the written report and the internship evaluation form completed by the host and your CBI supervisor (this can be any staff member that is most closely affiliated to your topic of study). It is advised to plan for repeated contact moments with your CBI supervisor to keep him or her updated.
9. What are other relevant elements?
- Travelling insurance: Wageningen University pays for it after a statement by the internship coordinator.
- Visa: this is often a time consuming procedure. Usually you need an invitation letter from the internship company/university and a statement that you are registered as a university student and that the internship is an compulsory part of your study. Sometimes other statements are also required, like a financial statement, a statement of health or a statement of ‘good conduct’ (e.g. no contact with criminal organizations).
- Health insurance: it is advisable to inform your health insurance company and to ask if you have world-wide coverage.
- OV jaarkaart (only for Dutch students): it is possible to pause the “OV jaarkaart” by filling in a standard form, available at the students registration office or through intranet.
- Before leaving: always inform your internship coordinator.
If there are still some questions or remarks please do not hesitate to contact Coen Govers via email@example.com.