Thanks to the flatness of the country, cycling is the way to get around town. A reliable bicycle is essential in Wageningen. A good bicycle, either new or second hand, is certainly no luxury.
The municipality of Wageningen, in close cooperation with Wageningen University & Research, launched a website Cycling in Wageningen, where you will find all the information you need. For example where you can buy a bike, how to fix your bicycle, traffic rules and bicycle tours in Wageningen.
- Small bikes are rare; ask a shopkeeper for assistance if you need a small bike.
- You can rent a bike (also nice for your visitors from abroad) at the international Student Association IxESN in Wageningen.
- On campus you can buy a second-hand bike at Trade Frm
- When buying a bike, always check that the lights work and if the brakes and tires are in good order. You are legally required to have lights on your bike at night, and you can get fined if you don't have them.
- When buying a bicycle, also buy a good lock. Beware of thieves! Never leave your bicycle unlocked on the street, not even for a few minutes. A non-attractive bicycle or a bicycle with unique paintings or features, has less chance of being stolen.
- If you have never ridden a bicycle before, ask a friend to help you practice, or follow lessons.
- Every Tuesday between 18.00 - 20.00 hrs. student volunteers from the Student Bike Workshop Wageningen help to repair your bicycle in the basement at Forum building, for free. If necessary you need to pay for new bicycle parts. Whenever you have a problem with your bike, you can come to the workshop for advice and help with the repairs. SBWW's workshop is equipped to handle most repairs on your bike, and the volunteers are experienced bike enthusiast, happy to help you. Check the Facebook page for latest news.
- In the Netherlands we have cycle routes with numbers, the "knooppunt routes" where you can bike from number to number (see photo). You can organize your own cycle route on fiets erop uit.