Working at FQD
- Start: You will be introduced in the department by your supervisor. On your first day go to the secretariat, Axis building room X1108, for your contract and other information. We use a system of Flex-Desks within our FQD group.
- Opening times Axis: On working days from 7.00 - 22.00 hrs, weekends and holidays from 9.00 – 17.00 hrs, but ONLY with a WUR card, and when a teacher or PhD student is present the whole time. After permission from your supervisor you can enter the building outside the opening hours. If entering at weekends/holidays you must sign your name at the reception, including the room number where you will work. Do not forget to sign out when you leave.
- Safety: every month safety instructions (labs and Axis building) will be presented to all new students. Every student is also obliged to attend this lecture every 4 years. The FQD secretary office will send the invitation to you by through an Outlook invitation. Registration goes with your WUR card.
- Coffee/Tea: you can take coffee or tea from the coffee machines with the help of a WUR card.
- Printing: You can print using the e-wallet system.
- PC: It is strictly forbidden to download files from the internet for private goals. The system manager controls the network and if you get caught you will no longer be authorized to use the pc. When you have finished your thesis you must delete all your files. In case of problems with your PC you can send an e-mail to: ICT ServiceDesk [Servicedesk.IT@wur.nl].
- Printing: all pc's are connected to network printers. Attention: do not print un-necessarily, and recycle all waste paper! In case of problems printing via the network send an email to: ICT ServiceDesk [Servicedesk.IT@wur.nl].
Depending on the length of your thesis you have to give 2 or 3 oral presentations (2 presentations for 18 credit points and 3 presentations for all the other credit points). The presentations will be scheduled at the beginning (after 3 weeks), in the middle and at the end of your thesis. You are obliged to attend the presentations of other students also. All presentations are announced by email.
If you are going to give a presentation you can book the date yourself after consultation of your supervisor. The Office will send you instructions how you can arrange this yourself. Multimedia equipment for presentations can be borrowed at the Reception of Axis.
For the written report there are two standard pages to include at front. You can download these here (download English version / download Dutch version) and fill them in. The written report must be given to the examiner one week before the final presentation. There are binding facilities at the secretary's office.
Finishing your thesis period
Final presentation and exam: After consulting your supervisor please book the date of your final presentation/exam in the Excel sheet where you also scheduled your start presentation. The written report must be send to the examiner and the secretary office one week before the exam.
Leaving FQD: before leaving FQD you need to remove your files from the pc, clean-up your lab space, and remove all experimental samples from the refrigerators/freezers. A checklist departure list will be send by the secretary's office, all (raw) data needs to be send as well by WeTransfer.