The year’s theme for the Opening of the Academic Year of Wageningen UR (University & Research centre) was ‘Nature as the basis'.
The world population will strongly increase in the coming decades and prosperity will further rise. So, the demand for food, energy and water will grow significantly. But what about nature and biodiversity? Do we accept a further impact on nature development, or are we able to include nature into an integrated approach of future challenges? Nature is an asset that already plays a crucial role in not only ecological but also in economic and social developments. Wageningen know-how is helpful in understanding and further developing natural resources: ‘to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life’.
The Opening of the Academic Year at Wageningen UR highlighted the chances and limitations. It was opened by Aalt Dijkhuizen, President and Chairman of the Executive Board of Wageningen UR. Speakers were Alexander Pechtold (political party leader of D66), Kees Slingerland (managing director of the Environmental Sciences Group of Wageningen UR).
Kees Slingerland - Director Environmental Sciences Group, Wageningen UR Introduction to the Business Plan for Sustainable Use of our Living Environment
Ashok Bhalotra - Ambassador of KuiperCompagnons Introduction
Yttje Feddes - National Landscape Advisor Introduction
- Green Metropolises- Peter Visschedijk
- Quality of Leisure, Quality of Life! - René Henkens
- Investing in Ecosystem Services Pays- Dolf de Groot
- Sustainable Area Development - Marian Stuiver
- Seas of Opportunity- Martin Pastoors
- Delta Environment - Birgit Dauwe
- Knowledge Integration Tools - Onno Roosenschoon
- Towards a Resilient Environment - Monica Commandeur