Analysis for dioxins, dioxin-like PCBs, Indicator PCBs and polybrominated diphenyl ethers
Purification of samples
At Wageningen Food Safety Research after extraction samples are purified using a fully automated method the so called powerprep from Fluid Management Systems, Waltham USA.
Extracts are transferred to the Power-Prep system and purified on an acid silica column, a neutral silica column, a basic alumina column and an activated carbon/celite column. For the elution of the columns, custom made solvents and mixtures are used:
- Hexane, channel 1
- Hexane/dichloromethane (1:1, V/V), channel 3
- Ethylacetate/toluene (1:1, v/v), channel 4
- Toluene, channel 5
Note: Channel 2 is in the Wageningen Food Safety Research procedure not in use.
After purification two fraction are obtained:
- Fraction A contains:
- mono-ortho and indicator PCBs and polybrominated diphenyl ethters (PBDEs)
- Fraction B contains:
- PCDD/Fs and non-ortho PCBs
The programs for controlling the powerprep can be downloaded to be used in the FMS software DMS6000
- Program for purification of samples
- Program for extended washing the system after each serie
- LOG file should always be activated
You can download these programs as a ZIP-file (see below).