Erasmus+ grant

The EU provides funds for students going abroad in the Erasmus+ program. Both students going on study exchange and doing an internship or thesis can apply for a grant. On this page all relevant information about the grant is provided.

The exchange program of the European Union is called Erasmus+. The grant is available for BSc, MSc and PhD students. The grant amount you receive, depends on the country you go to.

The grant will be paid in two times, the 70% at the start of your mobility period (if you send all documents needed before departure) and, the remaining 30% (after you have sent all the documents after your return).

In one cycle (BSc, MSc and PhD) you can get a Erasmus+ grant for a maximum of 12 months, so 36 in total. You can combine study exchange with internship abroad.

If you apply for an Erasmus+ grant for exchange in one of the Erasmus+ countries (as part of your studies), you automatically apply for the travel allowance of WUR. However this travel allowance does not apply for internship after graduation or voluntary internship, and also non-EU countries are excluded. Apart from that, you can also apply for a green travel top-up if you use sustainable means of transport (like a train, bus, carpooling) to travel to your exchange destination.

If you do a language course abroad beforehand (in the country where you will go), the language course date will be included as part of the beginning date of your exchange period, and therefore of the Erasmus+ grant.

Please note that for grants for exchange to destinations outside of the EU, other rules may apply. Grant allocation is depending on the budget and number of applicants and the available budget (see conditions study & conditions internship/thesis).

Erasmus+ grants for EU destinations including North Macedonia, Serbia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey

Group 1 Group 2 Group 3
Programme countries with higher living costs Programme countries with medium living costs Programme countries with lower living costs
Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Sweden, Liechtenstein, Norway Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Cyprus, Malta, Portugal Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey

Grants
Study Internship/ Thesis
Group 1: Programme countries with higher living standards €360 per month €510 per month
Group 2: Programme countries with medium living costs €300 per month €450 per month
Group 3: Program countries with lower living costs €240 per month €390 per month

Erasmus+ grants for exchange to non-EU destinations

Grants
Exchange duration longer than 2 months € 1400 in total

The Erasmus+ grant can be combined with a Holland Sholarship. Please refer to this webpage for all the rules and requirements.

Erasmus+ grants for exchange to the United Kingdom and Switzerland

Students going to the United Kingdom for study exchange can apply for an Erasmus+ grant of 720 EUR (2 months).

Students going to the United Kingdom or internship or thesis can apply for an Erasmus+ grant of 1020 EUR (2 months).

Students going to Switzerland for study exchange will receive a Movetia grant through the Swiss university and are excluded from the Erasmus+ program.

Students going to Switzerland for internship or thesis and who do not receive the Movetia grant, can apply for an Erasmus+ grant of 1020 EUR (2 months).

Important notes:

Students going to an overseas country or territory, will receive the grant amount corresponding to the country related to the overseas country or territory. See Overseas Countries Territories for an overview.

WUR students going to Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten or Saba, cannot apply for an Erasmus+ grant at the WUR Exchange Office, as these countries and territories are part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Questions?

Check our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

No rights may be derived from this information.