The University of Pisa (Dipartimento di Biologia delle Piante Agrarie, now moved in the Department of Agriculture, Food and Environment) organized a technical workshop in order to disseminate the main results of the EU-FP7 project EUPHOROS. The workshop, which was sponsored by Regional Government of Sicily (Agriculture and Forestry Department), was held on 6th October 2011 in Donnalucata (Scicli, Ragusa), in one of the most important greenhouse area in the Mediterranean (more than 7,000 ha are covered by greenhouses and tunnels in Sicily). Over 50 invited stakeholders (growers, consultants and extension officers) attended the workshop.
Program of the workshop
- C. Stanghellini (WUR University, NL). The Euphoros project.
The presentation give an overview of the main tasks and results of the project Euphoros.
- A. Pardossi (Pisa University, IT). Strategies for reducing the environmental impact of soilless culture.
Different strategies for the management of the nutrient solution are discussed with the aim to give information on the optimization of nutrient solution supply, recirculation, and discharge, especially under moderate salinity.
- L. Incrocci (Pisa University, IT). Software to optimize fertigation management in greenhouse crops.
A computer program for the management of the nutrient solution is illustrated in this presentation. The software is able to calculate the nutrient solution as well as to calculate the water and nutrient use efficiency using different fertigation option.
- E. Galfrè- (BASF-CH). Long lasting agro films: a double benefit for farmers and the Environment.
Properties and characteristics of plastic films are discussed here. The benefits and drawbacks of the use of long life plastic films in protected crops are also illustrated.
- F. Kempkes (WUR University, NL). Maximizing benefit of solar energy in greenhouses
Indications on how recent researches and technologies can be applied for improving the efficiency use of radiation in greenhouse production are discussed in this document.
- A - E. Baeza (EEFC, Almeria, ES). Design of greenhouse natural ventilation systems in absence and presence of obstructions.
Suggestions and advices on the optimization of natural ventilation of greenhouse are discussed also with the support of applicative and simulation studies.
B - J.I. Montero (IRTA, Barcellona, ES). Design of greenhouse ventilation systems. A web tool for air exchange calculations.
A tool for the calculation of the greenhouse ventilation is illustrated in this document with some practical examples.
A. de Koning (Hortimax, NL). Greenhouse process control for higher returns
The possibility of controlling automatically the whole cultivation environment in the greenhouse, with the aim to maximize the grower incomes, is discussed in this document.
M. Torrelas (IRTA, Barcellona, ES). Environmental assessment of European protected crops in Europe (LCA analysis): a WEB based tool.
A web tool for the calculation of Life Cycle Analysis of protected crops is illustrated in this document with some practical examples.
M. Ruijs (WUR University, NL). Economic evaluation of the use of inputs in protected cultivation in Europe: a WEB-based tool.
A web tool for the economic evaluation of the use of different inputs in protected cultivation is illustrated in this document with some practical examples
Three software can be downloaded from Dissemination section 'Calculation Programs':
1) Nutrient Solution Calculator (SOL-NUTRI, available in English, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian and Dutch);
2) Fertigation manager (SIMULHYDRO 2.0, available only in English)
3) Air Exchange Calculator (available in English and Italian).