Study expenses

What are my study expenses?

On this page you can find all the information about your study expenses. Your expenses consist of the tuition fee, living expenses and insurance. Non-EU/EFTA students also need to pay an institutional tuition fee and the dues of a residence permit.

Estimated study costs

Below you find an overview of all the estimated study costs, subdivided into EU/EFTA and Non-EU/Non-EFTA. The estimate costs are based on three years of study for a bachelor's student who must pay the institutional tuition fee 3 for Non-EU/EFTA nationals.

Estimated total costs for 3 years*
Student EU/EFTA Student Non-EU/EFTA
Tuition Fee 2024/2025 €2,530.00 €17,300.00
Tuition Fee 2025/2026 €2,600.00 (estimate) €18,300.00 (estimate)
Tuition Fee 2026/2027 €2,700.00 (estimate) €19,300.00 (estimate)
Living expenses €44,100.00 €44,100.00
Health insurance €2,235.00 €2,235.00
Residence permit n/a €228.00
Total estimated costs for 3 years €54,165.00 €101,463.00

* No rights can be derived from this information. Conditions and amounts mentioned may be subject to change depending on Dutch legislation and Wageningen University policies.

Explanation of study costs

Tuition Fees: The statutory tuition fee is determined by the
Dutch government each year. You are eligible to pay the statutory tuition fee,
if you meet the nationality and the degree requirement.

Living expenses: The minimum amount you will require for living expenses is apporoximately € 1,2250.00 a month. This includes housing (approx.  €400.00 a month), food, books and study materials.

Insurance: Another expense to consider is insurance for health and legal liability. Students with a European Health Insurance Card are only required to arrange legal liability insurance. Information about Student Insurance.

Residence permit: Wageningen University applies for the entrance visa and residence permit for every new non-EU student who is going to start a study at Wageningen University. The total costs for the entrance visa and residence permit have to be paid by the student before Wageningen University will start applying for the visa and permit.

Note: Non-EU students who will open a Dutch bank account upon arrival, are strongly advised to bring a credit card (Visa or Mastercard) or cash for the first month. Since it will take a few weeks before you receive the living allowance from the University on your Dutch bank account. You will need the credit card or cash to pay for rent, groceries, transportation, a bike and sometimes furniture, books or a phone card. You are advised to bring at least 300 euros, but preferably between 500 to 1000 euros.

More about: