Study expenses

On this page you find information about your study expenses. Your expenses consist of the tuition fee, living expenses and insurance. Non-EU students also need to pay a residence permit and handling fees.

Fulltime master's

Below you can find an estimation of the total study expenses for a full-time master's programme. The study expenses for EU-students consist of tuition fee, living expenses and insurance. Non-EU and non-EFTA also need to pay for a residence permit and handling fees. Travel costs to and from the Netherlands are not included.

Estimated costs for 2 years*
EU/EFTA students Non-EU/EFTA students
Tuition fee 2022/2023 € 2,209 € 18,700
Tuition fee 2023/2024 € 2,314 € 19,600
Living expenses € 22,800.00 € 22,800.00
Health insurance € 1,470 € 1,470
Residence permit n/a €207
Total € 28,793.00 € 62,750.00

* No rights can be derived from this information. Conditions and amounts mentioned may be subject to change depending on Dutch legislation and Wageningen University policies.

Explanation of study expenses

Tuition fee: This fee is determined by the University board and based on two full academic years (24 months). It is possible to receive a partial refund of the tuition fees after termination of enrolment. No refund will be made if enrolment is terminated as of 1 July or 1 August unless the termination of enrolment is the result of graduation.

Living expenses: The minimum amount you will require for living expenses is approximately €950,00 a month. This includes housing (approx. €400.00 a month), food, books and study materials. For non-EU/EFTA students Wageningen University is obliged to prove to the Immigration Authorities that students have adequate financial resources. For that reason all students who require a residence permit need to transfer the living allowance to the bank account of Wageningen University. Wageningen University will administer the funds during their study and refund the living allowance on monthly basis. Non-EU students who will open a Dutch bank account upon arrival, are strongly advised to bring a credit card (Visa or Mastercard) or cash for the first month, since it will take a few weeks before you receive the living allowance from the University on your Dutch bank account. You will need the credit card or cash to pay for rent, groceries, transportation, a bike and sometimes furniture, books or a phone card. You are advised to bring at least 300 euros, but preferably between 500 to 1000 euros.

Insurance: students are obliged to have an insurance for health and liability. European students with a European health insurance card are strongly advised to check the exact coverage and the period for the Netherlands with their insurance provider before leaving their home country. They can apply for an additional insurance if their coverage is not sufficient. Information about Student Insurance.

Residence permit (only for non-EU/EFTA): Wageningen University applies for the entrance visa and residence permit for every new non-EU/EFTA student who is going to start a study at Wageningen University. The total cost for the entrance visa and residence permit has to be paid by the student before Wageningen University will start applying for the visa and permit.

Part-time Online master's

The part-time online master's programmes at Wageningen University may take 3 or 4 years to complete, depending on how you want to do your thesis and internship. The general structure is a 2 year part-time course programme of 30 credits per year, followed by a tailor-made internship in year 3 and a master's thesis agreement in year 4. If you are able to spend approximately 40 hours per week in the third year on your internship and thesis, you can finish the programme in 3 years.

You can find the tuition fees for EU/EFTA and Non-EU/Non-EFTA students for the online master's programmes on this page. The travel and accommodation costs for the Wageningen Weeks are not included in the tuition fee and in the estimate of costs. Incidentally you will also need to buy a book for a course that is not included in the tuition fee.