Are you looking for more theoretical background on plant breeding? This online course includes five modules, both basic, more complex breeding and selection methods, new technological developments, and underlying biological concepts. Online learning offers you a flexible learning process and the possibility to compose your own course. It is ideal for professionals and enables them to study the lecture material at their own pace and place.
This online course has been developed by experts from Wageningen University & Research. The modules have been successfully followed by a broad audience from more than twenty different countries and are well-rated.
Why follow this online course?
The complete online course plant breeding provides you with a concise overview of basic principles of plant selection and principles associated with:
- genetic markers
- linkage mapping
- resistance against pathogens
- F1 hybrids
- mutation breeding
For whom is this course?
Professionals in plant breeding and related companies and research institutes.
Programme and topics per module
The study material consists of built-in text and figures, supported by interactive self-tests to check the acquired knowledge.
The online course Plant Breeding consists of the following modules:
- Principles of plant breeding (M1) =1.0 ECTS
- Marker-assisted selection (M2) =2.0 ECTS
- Resistance to biotic factors (M3) =0.2 ECTS
- F1 hybrids (M4) =1.0 ECTS
- Mutation Breeding (M5) =1.0 ECTS
The ECTS for the individual modules differ. 1.0 ECTS equals ca. 28 study hours.
More information on the covered topics can be downloaded:
After registration and payment you get a personal account that gives access to the online learning materials for one year.
Optional: exam and certificate
Each module can be completed by doing an exam. This is optional. Per examination date one or multiple exams can be taken. The price per examination is €195,-. We offer two options:
1) Doing in-person exam(s) at Wageningen University & Research on location Wageningen Campus in The Netherlands. Dates are set in mutual agreement.
2) Doing online exam on fixed dates on your own device and at your own location. These exams must be supervised by your manager / HRM-employee. Instructions will be send in advance. This option saves you travel time and costs. The next opportunity to do online exam are in the first half of 2022 on:
- Tuesday 18 January 2022 between 8:30 hrs and 17.00 hrs Amsterdam Time Zone.
- Tuesday 16 June 2022 between 8:30 hrs and 17.00 hrs Amsterdam Time Zone.
After completing the exam successfully, a certificate with the relevant study credits (ECTS) is issued. The certificate is designed for a business environment and gives no immediate rights to apply towards a formal degree programme on a university. On a personal basis exemptions can be made by academic institutions.
The supervisor is Dr. ir. J. C. (Jan-Kees) Goud, Wageningen University & Research, Plant Breeding.