You’re not quite ready to write a paper or give a presentation, but you’d like to know some general do’s and don’ts to prepare you for the future? Are you looking for a low-threshold but informative course to start your academic career?
The Essentials of Scientific Writing and Presenting is an intensive 4-day course that gives you some fundamental tips and techniques for effectively writing and presenting scientific information. The course also spends some time on developing clear pronunciation and polishing general English-language skills.
This course is offered in collaboration with Wageningen Graduate Schools (WGS).
PhD candidates wishing to explore these issues in more detail and get hands-on practice should also follow Scientific Writing, Presenting with Impact and Efficient Writing Strategies.
- PhD candidates who are starting their academic careers and who want an overview of the communication skills they need for their PhD
- More experienced PhD candidates who may already have these communication skills but who want an overview to check that they are on the right track
- understand effective scientific communication better – both written and spoken
- become familiar with the structure and elements of an IMRAD paper
- learn to identify the characteristics of good scientific writing, including academic style, coherence, word choice, correct grammar and punctuation, and to avoid pitfalls
- learn, identify and practise the elements of a good presentation
- improve your pronunciation
- improve proficiency in both written and spoken scientific English
Course duration and credits
- four 6-hour days
- 10 hours of self-study
- 1.2 ECTS
Dates and times
The Essentials of Scientific Writing and Presenting is given several times a year. Please click below for the latest course schedule.
Reader The Essentials of Scientific Writing and Presenting
The course material is included in the course fee and will be distributed during the first session.
Participants must attend all sessions to receive a certificate.
|Reduced fee*||€ 195|
|University fee**||€ 390|
|External fee||€ 450|
The fee includes study and training material. Coffee/tea and lunches are not included.
- PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK).
- Postdocs of Wageningen University who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools.
- All other PhD candidates / Wageningen University postdocs and staff.
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the University fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement. In this case you will only be charged a € 50 cancellation fee.
- You (PhDs and postdocs of Wageningen University) have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree). In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/PI must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.