Are you looking for more theoretical background on plant breeding? This online course includes six modules, including basic, more complex breeding and selection methods, new technological developments, and insight in underlying biological concepts. Online learning offers you a flexible learning process with the possibility to compose your own course. It is ideal for professionals and enables them to study the lecture material at their own pace and place.
Why follow this course?
Successfull completion of all modules of the online course Plant Breeding provides you with a concise overview of basic principles of plant selection and principles associated with genetic markers, linkage mapping, QTL-analysis, resistance against pathogens, F1 hybrids, mutation breeding and breeding for quality aspects. This online course has been developed by experts from Wageningen University & Research. The modules have been successfully followed by a broad audience from more than twenty different countries and are well-rated.
Is this course for you?
Professionals in plant breeding and related companies and research institutes. It is assumed that the participant has knowledge at BSc level of plant sciences, genetics or biology by education or work.
Programme & topics per module
The learning material consists of built-in text and figures, supported by self-tests, assignments, and knowledge clips (only module 6). The online course Plant Breeding consists of the following modules:
- Principles of plant breeding (M1) =1.0 ECTS
- Marker-assisted selection (M2) =2.0 ECTS
- Resistance to biotic factors (M3) =0.2 ECTS
- F1 hybrids (M4) =1.0 ECTS
- Mutation Breeding (M5) =1.0 ECTS
- Breeding for Quality (M6)= 1.0 ECTS
The ECTS for the individual modules differ. 1.0 ECTS equals ca. 28 study hours.
More information on the covered topics can be downloaded:
This is a individual self-paced course. You can start anytime and follow any combination of modules.
Module 1: € 495
Module 2: € 695
Module 3: € 95
Module 4: € 495
Module 5: € 495
Module 6: € 495
Per examination date: € 195
After registration and payment you get a personal account that gives access to the online learning materials for one year.
Each module can be completed by doing an exam. This is optional. You can buy one exam date option per time via the registration form. The price per examination date is €195,-. Per examination date one or multiple exams can be taken for the same price. You can state your preferred exam option in the remarks box of the registration form. Based on your purchase we will contact you for further arrangements regarding your exam.
Online exam, supervised at work location employee - fixed dates
Doing exam(s) online on your personally owned laptop at your work location. This exam option is only available for employees of a business, research or educational institute who can make use of their own laptop*. These online exams are on fixed dates and must be supervised by your manager / HRM-employee at your work location. Instructions will be send in advance. This option saves you travel time and costs. The opportunities to do online exam are on:
- Thursday 15 June 2023 between 08.30 – 17.00 CEST/UTC+2h. Registration deadline is Sunday 28 May 2023 at 23.59 CEST /UTC+2h.
- Tuesday 10 October 2023 between 08.30 – 17.00 CEST/UTC+2h. Registration deadline is Sunday 24 September 2023 at 23.59 CEST /UTC+2h.
- Tuesday 16 January 2024 between 08.30 – 17.00 CET/UTC+1h. Registration deadline is Sunday 17 December 2023 at 23.59 CET /UTC+1h.
- Tuesday 18 June 2024 between 08.30 -17.00 CEST/UTC+2h. Registration deadline is Sunday 2 June 2024 at 23.59 CEST/UTC+2h.
More exam dates for 2024 will become available in time.
* For the online exams we strongly advise to use your personally owned laptop; on corporate owned devices security issues with WURs exam software can occur.
Handwritten exam, supervised at Wageningen Campus - date in mutual agreement
Doing handwritten exam(s) on Wageningen Campus. Dates are set in mutual agreement. These exam are done in-person so you have to travel to Wageningen. The supervision on campus is organised by Wageningen Academy.
After completing the exam successfully, a certificate with the relevant study credits (ECTS) is issued. The certificate is designed for a business environment and gives no immediate rights to apply towards a formal degree programme on a university. On a personal basis exemptions can be made by academic institutions.