The Wageningen PhD Council (WPC) is composed of members of the six PhD Councils from each of the graduate schools in Wageningen University. The main task of the WPC is to provide a discussion platform in which the six PhD Councils of the graduate schools can work together on issues that are relevant for all PhD candidates at Wageningen University.
The Wageningen PhD Council discusses issues such as housing, quality of supervision, and the judicial position of PhDs. These issues are discussed in internal meetings, which are held once a month, and in meetings with the Wageningen dean of sciences, the rector magnificus, the executive board, Idealis, the WUR Council and other relevant actors. In addition, the WPC organizes an annual PhD Party and a symposium for all PhD candidates in Wageningen.
Currently, the WPC is discussing the following topics:
- The grading of the PhD thesis
- Quality of supervision
- Teaching load experienced by PhDs
- Introduction of the bursary system in the Netherlands
- Appointment of PhDs and financing of PhD projects
The WPC is always open for listening to suggestions, complaints, experiences, etc. If you have any, do not hesitate to contact us or the PhD council of your graduate school
Wageningen University acts as secretary for six graduate schools. Some of these are national graduate schools where Wageningen University is a major participants. Others consist entirely of research groups from Wageningen University. The graduate schools are joined under the umbrella organisation Wageningen Graduate Schools.
- PhD Council Experimental Plant Sciences
- PhD Council Wageningen School of Social Sciences
- PhD Council Production Ecology & Resource Conservation
- PhD Council VLAG - Food Technology Agrobiotechnology, Nutrition and Health Sciences
- PhD Council Wageningen Institute of Animal Sciences