Food production relies on the efficiency of plants. To find and select the best performing variety in a nursery, greenhouse and on the field, automation and large scale testing is key. Wageningen University & Research is specialised in sensing & plant phenotyping with non-destructive, fast and robust applications. In co-development with machine builders and breeding companies we develop objective methods to collect data for describing variety performances in all growth stages.
Join our research
Do you join us in scaling up experimental results in controlled conditions to full-scale field experiments in a real-life setting? Be the first to benefit from the phenomics-based solutions for cultivation and breeding challenges in the near future. See successful examples at www.phenomics.nl.
Innovative technologies for crop improvement
Optimal growing conditions of advanced plant and food production systems are searched for based on measurement on seeds, plants and their products as fruits, seeds and leaves suitable for consumption. High throughput plant phenotyping technologies are therefore rapidly becoming essential in plant breeding for crop improvement. We use techniques of computer vision, automated quality measurements, deep learning, robotic systems; autonomation and data collections and collect large-scale datasets with advanced AI tools.
We offer you:
- Co-development of new applications with machine builders and breeding companies to measure plant variety performances in all growth stages
- Detailed and fast 3D reconstruction of plants to measure individual plant parts
- Sensor fusion (3D, hyperspectral and colour) to create tailor made and robust measurements tools
- Artificial Intelligence techniques such as deep learning
- Non-destructive prediction of plant/ fruit quality