Minimum laptop requirements
A laptop for your studies
To be able to take your digital exam and to use the software required for a course, your laptop must meet minimum requirements.
Every year, WUR facilitates an attractive laptop offer in de LaptopShop. The models from the LaptopShop meet the minimum requirements and offer extensive service, regardless of your choose within WUR’s flexible education model.
Note the adjusted requirements for the Bachelor and Master study programme Landscape Architecture and Spatial Planning.
If you choose a different laptop, pay attention to these requirements!
- Windows 10 in English or Dutch (other languages supported on best effort)
- Display size must be 13-17”, Full HD
- At least 16 GB of RAM
- At least 512 GB SSD hard disk
- Intel Core i5 processor or higher (or similar)
- HDMI / Displayport connections
- At least two free USB 2.0 (or higher, e.g. USB-C) ports
- Battery that can run for at least three hours without connection to a power source
- Built-in webcam and microphone
- You must be the administrator for your laptop
It would also be wise to consider:
- 1 USB-C port for video source
- Good support for the device (Next Business Day) or a backup option such as a spare laptop
- AC adapter and cable with a Dutch plug
- Weight: not too heavy
- No noisy fan
- Kensington connection to prevent theft
Important for a Chromebook
A Chromebook does not meet all requirements and cannot be used for education and exams.
Important for a MacBook
Almost all study and course software that is used at WUR runs on Windows. If you choose a MacBook, it is important that you are able to run Windows software on it. We advise to use Parallels and Windows 10 Education. You can purchase the licences at SURFspot.nl. A MacBook has the same minimum requirements as a Windows laptop. You will need extra free disk space for the Windows work-around. A M1 processor cannot install parallels and is not recommended.
Go to StudentSupport for detailed instructions or visit ServicePoint IT, they can assist with the installation in case of problems.
Which laptop for which study programme?
In the "Wageningen education model" you can, in principle, follow every course from every study programme as a (optional) course. Therefore software used in education is available for use on the allround model. The power model can offer more comfort (e.g. when working with multiple part screens at the same time, it has a larger screen and a higher graphics processing power).
The following study programmes apply a specific advice because the used software require a more powerful laptop:
- Bachelor of Landscape Architecture and Spatial Planning (BLP) starting from the second year if you opt for the specialization Landscape Architecture.
- Master's Landscape Architecture and Planning (MLP) for the specialization Landscape Architecture.
To students who take the specialization Landscape Architecture we recommend to purchase at least a Power-model from the laptopShop, or an even stronger model. With the Power or equivalent model you can work for 1 or 2 years with relatively few problems. With a higher end laptop you can work your whole studies.
Requirements for the higher end laptop (Windows and Mac): Video card of minimum 6Gb (recommended 8Gb, like NVIDIA® GeForce), i7 processor, minimum 16Gb RAM (recommended 32Gb RAM), screen resolution 1920x1080.
A game laptop could be a very good (and often cheaper) alternative to a ‘normal’ laptop. Like the Dell Alienware, HP Game model or AOC. Most graphical software programs are going to switch from working over the RAM to working with the videocard.