Students and Pregnancy and/or Parenting

If you are pregnant, or a parent, it is advisable to discuss this with your study adviser about how to combine this with your study. If you undergo a study delay through pregnancy or childbirth, you may be entitled to financial compensation. We advise you to make an appointment to discuss this with a student dean.

Student dean: to record study delay and act as point of contact.

If pregnancy or childbirth leads to a study delay, then under certain conditions, financial compensation is possible. The same applies if you are responsible for the care of a sick or disabled child. Make an appointment with a student dean to discuss the conditions and to register your study delay. If your situation does not satisfy the conditions, perhaps another form of financial support is possible, for example via a fund or via the government.

The student dean is also your point of contact, source for answers to your questions, and can refer you to others who can answer any other questions that you might have, such as those regarding housing and childcare facilities.

You can contact the student dean via or (0317) 483618.

Study adviser: for planning and choice of courses.

Are you pregnant or are you a student mother or father? If so, make an appointment with your study adviser. Together, you will discuss what modifications of your study planning or subject load are possible, so that you will be able to combine your study programme with your parenting.

Student Financial Support

If you are experiencing a study delay due to pregnancy and childbirth, you could qualify for financial support from the university if your situation satisfies the conditions. This support is for a maximum of 4 months. If you, as a father or mother, are responsible for the care of a chronically ill or disabled child, you are eligible to receive support for a maximum of 3 months.

Private funds

If you have no or insufficient financial assistance to pay for your studies, then you can make a request to a private fund with a recommendation from a student dean.


There are different forms of government allowances available. Childcare allowance is given out through the Belastingdienst (tax authorities). Through the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO), you may be eligible for the single-parent allowance as a supplement to your student grants and loans, if you are taking care of a child under the age of 18 and you don’t have a partner.

Nursing rooms

On the campus there is a nursing mothers' room in each of the buildings listed below. You can request the key to the nursing room at the reception desk. Buildings: Orion, Radix, Axis, Helix, Atlas, Gaia and Zodiac.

Housing and childcare facilities

Idealis does not offer the possibility for students to live together with their partner or children. Apartments suitable for families are only leased to PhD students. Our advice is that you make a timely search for suitable accommodations outside Idealis.

The university does not have its own children’s daycare facilities. However, there is a private daycare facility - Prins Vleermuis - on Wageningen campus.
Please note: It is important to arrange daycare for your child early.

Useful websites

On the websites below, you can find useful information about housing, childcare facilities, and regulations.