Wageningen University & Research is the “knowledge heart” of the Dutch Greenhouse Horticulture. This is the most advanced and productive in the world. Scientists of Wageningen University & Research will share their unique knowledge with international students and researchers during this Summer School.
This Summer School will be scheduled again in 2024.
Why follow this Summer School?
After attending the Summer School, you will:
- Know the most relevant processes in protected cultivation ranging from plant physiology to economics
- Understand how technology affects climate management, crop production and resource use efficiency
- Be able to apply this knowledge to quantitatively address decisions about climate management, crop cultivation and nutrition
Is this Summer School for you?
The Summer School is open to PhD students, post-docs, junior scientists, and professionals from all over the world. It is an intensive program designed to advance knowledge in the field.
Particular attention has been given to developing a programme that relates to and is interesting for protected cultivation. Using less technology than is usual in The Netherlands. So, basics will be learned to apply directly in your own country and situation.
Programme & topics
This programme consists of an attractive mix of lectures, practical casework and evening seminars by renowned experts. It also includes 2 days of field visits to leading international companies in the Greenhouse industry.
The following topics will be covered:
- Overview of Protected Horticulture
- Passive Greenhouse (light and functions of the cover)
- Climate Management
- Basic Principles of Crop Physiology
- Potential Crop Yield
- Crop Management
- Plant Nutrition and its Management
- Water Quality, Growing Systems and Nutrient Solutions
- Crop Protection and Integrated Pest Management
The price is € 2955 per person and covers tuition, course materials, lunch and refreshments. The adjusted price for PhD'ers is € 2610.
We allow max. 35 participants for this programme.