Folgen Sie mir auf:
Stefan Wahlen is assistant professor in Sociology of Consumption at the Consumption and Healthy Lifestyles (CHL) group of Wageningen University. In research and teaching he is interested in food consumption practices, broader food cultures as well as their political, organisational and institutional parameters.
Stefan's research focusses on consumption as societal phenomenon, for example in relation to food consumption or collaborative lifestyles. He has been guest editor (with Mikko Laamanen) for a special issue on "Lifestyle, Consumption and Social Movements" at the International Journal of Consumer Studies. He is further a board member of the European Sociological Association's (ESA) research network for sociology of consumption. For more information on recent publications and conference presentations, please visit his google scholar profile.
Stefan is mainly involved in organising, coordinating or coaching the following courses at Wageningen University:
- Lifestyles and Consumption (SCH 20806)
- Consumption theory: discovering the genealogy of your approach (SCH 52306)
- Academic Consultancy Training
Hi is also involved in teaching the following courses:
- Sociology of Business, Consumption and Economics (SCH 11806)
- Economics of Consumption, Welfare and Society (UEC 22306)
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research Techniques in the Social Sciences (YSS 20306)
Beyond these courses he gives guest lectures on consumption, politics and society at various other European universities such as the University of Helsinki, the University of Bonn, or Amsterdam University College.
Supervision (MSc and PhD)
Stefan is interested in supervising B.Sc. or M.Sc. students as well as PhD candidates with interest in the sociology of consumption, or more specifically in one of the following areas:
- food cultures and food consumption
- collaborative consumption and a sharing economy
- consumption and social movements
- political and ethical forms of consumption
- consumption governance and consumer policy
- theories of social practices
Students interested in related projects are invited to contact Stefan by email (email@example.com). Please include a short proposal describing the desired research project as well as an up-to-date CV.
During spring 2019 I spent some time as visiting researcher at the Department of Sociology of the University of Copenhagen. In June 2017 I was visiting researcher at the Centre for Sociology of Organisations at SciencesPo in Paris. Prior to joining Wageningen University I earned a Ph.D. in consumer economics from the University of Helsinki (Finland) with a PhD dissertation entitled: Governing Everyday Consumption. My graduate degree is from the University of Bonn (Germany) in food and household studies. During my graduate degree I also spent exchange periods at the Universidad Politecnica Valencia (Spain) and the University of Helsinki (Finland).