Do you speak English

English language proficiency (non-EU/EFTA)

The MSc programme at the university is given in the English language and all applicants must provide recent evidence of their spoken and written command of English.

The following qualifications are acceptable as evidence of proficiency in English for entry to the MSc programmes (for non-EU/EFTA nationals):

Master programmes - English Level 1 Master programmes - English Level 2
Animal Sciences Aquaculture and Marine Resource Management
Biobased Sciences Biology
Bioinformatics Communication, Health and Life Sciences
Biosystems Engineering Development and Rural Innovation
Biotechnology Food Quality Management
Climate Studies Food Safety
Earth and Environment International Development Studies
Environmental Sciences Landscape Architecture and Planning
Food Technology Management Economics and Consumer Studies
Food Technology (online master specialisation) Metropolitan Analysis Design and Engineering
Forest and Nature Conservation Organic Agriculture
Geo-information Science Plant Biotechnology
International Land and Water Management Plant Breeding (online master specialisation)
Leisure Tourism and Environment Plant Sciences
Molecular Life Sciences
Nutritional Epidemiology and Public Health (online master specialisation)
Nutrition and Health
Urban Environmental Management
Water Technology
Level 1 Level 2
IELTS overall grade 6.0 (with a minimum sub-score of 6.0 for speaking) Overall grade 6.5 (with a minimum sub-score of 6.0 for speaking)
TOEFL internet-based 80 (with a minimum sub-score of 20 for speaking) internet-based 92 (with a minimum sub-score of 23 for speaking)
Cambridge FCE pass at grade B or above pass at grade A
Cambridge CAE pass at grade C or above pass at grade C or above
Cambridge CPE pass at grade C or above pass at grade C or above
International Baccalauréat diploma Language of instruction English or English A Language and Literature 3 Language of instruction English or English A Language and Literature 4

Applicants who do not meet the standard level requirement will not be admitted to the programme.

IELTS, TOEFL tests should have been taken no longer than two years prior to the application.

TOEFL test

Test of English as a Foreign Language measures the ability of non-native speakers of English to use and understand English as it is spoken, written and heard in college and university settings. If you are planning to study at college and universities where instruction is in English you will often be asked to take a TOEFL test. The test is administered several times a month. Applicants taking a TOEFL test should note that the university has been assigned a TOEFL code (0542) and that the results are sent directly to us. Please visit the website of TOEFL for more information.

IELTS test

The purpose of the IELTS test is to quantify the English Language proficiency of non-native English speakers who intend to study through the medium of English. The test is administered several times per month. The Academic test is required. More information available on the IELTS website.

Cambridge exams (CAE, FCE and CPE)

For information and registration see the Cambridge website.


1. Applicants who have completed their Bachelor or Master degree in one of the following countries: Australia, Ireland, Canada (except those educated at universities in Quebec), New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America are exempted from submitting an English proficiency test.

2. Applicants who have completed a bachelor at a Dutch university are exempted from submitting an English Proficiency test. This does not apply to applicants who have obtained their bachelor at a Dutch university of applied sciences.

3. Nationals of one of the following countries, Botswana, Bhutan, Caribbean, Cameroon, Cyprus, Ghana, Guyana, India, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Namibia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, The Gambia, The Philippines, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe who have completed their Bachelor or Master degree in their home country are strongly encouraged to submit a sufficient result of an English proficiency test. If this is not possible, a signed statement from the university that the medium of instruction during the complete Bachelor’s programme they followed was English is required.

All other applicants need to submit sufficient result of an English proficiency test as per the requirements.

Please note! The admission committee reserves the right to request any applicant to submit an English language proficiency test.

Students from China are required to submit an IELTS certificate or a TOEFL-IBT in accordance with the visa requirements. More information regarding the Nuffic certificate can be found on the website of Nuffic.

Please note: For admission to the master programmes, our English requirements for applicants from Bangladesh have changed. Bangladeshi will be required to submit sufficient English language test results (IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge).