Master's Environmental Sciences
Are you up to the challenge of finding innovative approaches to improve the state of the environment and sustainable solutions to the (long-term) threats it faces? The Environmental Sciences master's programme in Wageningen has its roots in the natural, technological and social sciences. Students will gain insight into the socio-economic causes and the characteristics of pollution and degradation of the natural environment, including the effects on human beings, the atmosphere, ecosystems and other organisms. This two-year programme is based on an interdisciplinary approach. Students learn to develop analytical tools and models, as well as technologies, socio-political arrangements and economic instruments to prevent and control the wicked environmental and sustainability issues like climate change, biodiversity loss and resource depletion.
Why this programme?
- You will be educated to become an academic professional who is able to contribute to sustainable solutions for existing and future, complex and wicked environmental problems all over the world.
- You will develop and practice with multi- , inter- and transdisciplinary approaches, while specialising in your science domain.
- You learn to develop analytical tools and models, as well as technologies, socio-political arrangements to prevent and control environmental and sustainability issues.
- The compulsory courses are kept to a minimum, allowing you to tailor your programme to your wishes and needs.
- You will become part of truly international classroom, allowing you to learn from your peers and to develop your intercultural communication skills.
Study programme of Environmental Sciences
In general, the two-year programme can be divided into the common part, the specialisation and thesis track and free choice. In addition to courses, you will gain work experience during an internship and focus on your research topic during your thesis. On the Programme of Environmental Sciences page you can find the general outline of the programme and more detailed information about courses, theses and internships.
You can also read more about the Background of the programme and Compare Environmental Sciences to other master's programmes.
Specialisations and thesis tracks
The master’s programme offers you the possibility to study environmental and sustainability subjects from multiple perspectives. Depending on your interest, you can choose one of the following Specialisations and thesis tracks to focus more on understanding the processes, studying the causes and consequences or in finding solutions:
Specialisation A. Environmental Quality
- Aquatic Ecology and Water Quality Management
- Soil Biology
- Soil Chemistry and Chemical Soil Quality
- Air Quality and Atmospheric Chemistry
- Marine Animal Ecology
Specialisation B. Environmental Policy and Economics
Specialisation C. Environmental Technology
Specialisation D. Human-Environmental Systems
In addition to the wide choice of scientific disciplines, you can opt for a career-oriented track, including entrepreneurship, international relations, education and communication, and research. Read more about Career preparation during your studies.
Application and admission
Interested in taking part in the programme of Environmental Sciences? Find out more about the specific Admission requirements and the application procedures.
The best way to get to know a place is by getting to know the people. Students share their experiences with you about the master's programme and student life in Wageningen on the page Student experiences.
What are your possibilities after graduating? Read more about Career perspectives and opportunities after finishing the programme.