High school students from all over the world took the challenge to create and promote a yummie plantbased burgers! They followed science lectures by students of Wageningen University and started baking with special food tech ingredients. On October 4, seven selected groups from Ghana, Honduras and the Netherlands presented their burger and its uniqueness.
The jury was very impressed with all groups, but this is their final choice:
- the Carrotcake Vegan Burger from Anke and Mirjam (Netherlands)
- the Mister Lupini Burger from Senna (Netherlands)
- the Veggie Burger from Nathalie (Honduras)
The extra ingredients they added to their burger (not only herbs, but also vegetables such as carrots), their online presentation and their strong commercial video and posters were the deciding factor.
The jury consisted of:
- Jeroen Willemsen: Innovation Lead Protein Shift at Foodvalley NL
- Elisa Bertels: Student Management and Consumer Studies at Wageningen University & Research
Baking ideal burgers on Youth World Food Day – October 16
The Dutch winners Anke, Mirjam and Senna will bake their burgers on October 16 during Youth World Food Day at the World Food Center in Ede. Nathalie from Honduras will present her veggie burger during the Youth World Food Day online program. Furthermore, all winners will be offered a virtual tour and Q&A at the Vegetarian Butcher.
Don't have a ticket for Youth World Food Day yet? That's no problem!