Programme: Food, Nutrition and Health
Join our online programme Food, Nutrition and Health and learn how to analyse and interpret the information overload about health and nutrition. The two online courses of this programme, taught by nutrition expert and Full professor Dr. Sander Kersten, will help you build a healthier lifestyle for you and/or your patients.
Why follow this programme?
In the online learning programme Food, Nutrition and Health, an enthousiastic team of experts of Wageningen University & Research, will teach you all the fundamentals about nutrition. In the interactive video lectures they will tell you about the composition of macro- and micronutrients, their role in the body, and their impact on our health. You will get a sound understanding of energy homeostasis and the regulation of bodyweight.
Also, in the two online courses that this programme consist of, you will learn about several health problems related to overnutrition and undernutrition/malnutrition. You will learn strategies to improve your (or your patients) nutritional status, and combat overnutrition and undernutrition based on actual scientific knowledge.
Develop a critical mindset about nutrition and food
The two online courses together cover everything you need to now about food and nutrition; from fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals to water. You will acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and tools to become more critical towards the food and health related messages we’re constantly bombarded with. You will learn how to distinguish misinformation about food and nutrition as you discover what is complete nonsense, what has a scientific basis and what the truth is (or that it lies somewhere in between).
Is this programme for you?
This programme is especially useful for health care professionals who are looking to update their knowledge and skills about nutrition and people working in the food industry with a non-nutrition background (such as food technology, legal, marketing, HR and communication staff). Health care professionals will benefit by acquiring a solid academic knowledge base in nutrition that will be helpful in their interactions with patients and clients.
Of course, we invite everyone, with an healthy appetite for knowledge about Food, Nutrition and Health, to join this MOOC.
What you'll learn
- How nutrition impacts health
- Introduction to the field of nutrition and food
- Basic chemistry and composition of food, their role in the body and their impact on health
- How to better weigh and interpret the information overload about nutrition and health
- Skills needed to effectively assess, design and implement dietary strategies and nutritional therapy at a basic level.
- In recent years, interest in the role of food and nutrition in promoting health and wellness has increased, particularly as a part of preventative healthcare in medical settings, (Source: Bureau of Labor and Statistics).
- Employment of dietitians and nutritionists is projected to grow 14 percent from 2016 to 2026. (Source: Bureau of Labor and Statistics).
- The median annual wage for dietitians and nutritionists was $58,920 in May 2016.
- This program offers specialized training about food and proper nutrition, opening advanced career opportunities for dieticians, nutritionist, registered nurses, and a range of jobs in the food industry.
Content of the programme
This online programme Food, Nutrition and Health consists of two MOOCs that can be taken in any desired order. Your time investment will be about 6-8 hours per week per online course, and the average length is 7-8 weeks per MOOC. Of course, you can study in your own time, at your own pace, so you can adjust the duration.