“How do we feed the world in 2050 in a fair, sustainable and healthy way when the world population rises to 10 billion?” Wageningen Youth Institute challenges high school students to look for solutions to one of the biggest challenges we face in the world. Are you interested in solving this question? Then sign up! Are you a Dutch student and started with your extended essay? Sign up for the extended essay competition! Are you a European student? Take part in the Global Challenge!
- You can really have an impact and contribute to a better world.
- You learn skills such as discussing and presenting. Very useful for school and in the future.
- You meet and advise policymakers, entrepreneurs, and scientists.
- You will become part of the Wageningen Youth Institute, where you will make special friendships and build a network that can be useful in your later career.
- You have the chance to win a trip to the Global Youth Institute in the United States.You have the chance to win a trip to the Global Youth Institute in the United States.
Wageningen Youth Institute (WYI)
- Part of Wageningen University & Research (WUR) and the World Food Prize Foundation in the United States.
- Starting in 2018, WYI organizes an extended essay competition every year, challenging students to look for solutions to one of the greatest challenges we face in the world: the world food issue. Since this year, the WYI has launched a second competition with the same theme, called the Global Challenge.
- The winners of the two competitions will travel to the US in October to attend the World Food Prize ceremony in Des Moines, Iowa. There they participate in the Global Youth Institute and meet students and experts from all over the world.
The two competitions of WYI
Extended essay competition
Sorry, for Dutch students only!
- For high school students between 15 and 18 years old throughout Europe
- Upon registration, you will receive (expert) coaching from a university student. Deadline for coaching = January 18
- Product: A Global Challenge report that highlights solutions of a food issue in a chosen country.
- Kick-off webinars in November and December
Finals March 2022
Both competitions will come together during the WYI finals in March 2022 (date will follow). During this day you will participate in round table discussions with experts (scientists, entrepreneurs, and policymakers) about your opinion and advice. There are separate round table discussions for both competitions. These are in Dutch for the extended essay competition, and in English for the Global Challenge. Based on your advice and discussion, the winners will be selected who will go to the US.
In addition to presenting your research, you can participate in lectures and excursions.
There are many different topics to consider about global food security issues and how we can feed the world in an honest, sustainable and healthy way. In addition, there are perspectives from all school subjects; chemistry, biology, but of course also economics.
Stay up to date
Stay up to date and sign in for our newsletter.