Together with the food industry, packaging producers and waste collectors, we are guiding the packaging designs toward sustainability through research on the following topics:
- Sustainable packaging made from new, bio-based raw materials as an alternative to plastic (or other fossil fuel-based) packaging materials, but with the same functional properties.
- Packaging that can be optimally recycled or composted due to its design and material.
- Mapping the quality of recycled (plastic) packaging material, including the options for using this recyclate.
- The design of smarter logistics chains, reducing the need for packaging materials while minimising food loss.
- Developing sustainable, energy-efficient technologies that extend the shelf life of products, to reduce food waste.
The strength of research at Wageningen University & Research is the multidisciplinary approach in the fields of food technology, shelf life, packaging and microbiology. With this approach we work on feasible, sustainable packaging solutions, with as little loss of food as possible.
Curious how we can investigate with you what the most suitable solution for your organization could be? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch!