WASS Director and Staff
The Director is responsible for all executive affairs of WASS, develops its long-term plans and its scientific direction, together with committees and participating groups. The Social Sciences Group of Wageningen University hosts the management and administration of WASS and supports WASS with the services of a Secretary, Secretariat and Financial Administration.
The Board is in charge of the main decisions of WASS. The Director and the Secretary prepare and attend the meetings of the Board and so does a representative of the PhD students.
WASS Education Committee
The Education Committee supervises the work of the WASS Education Coordinator on:
- The selection and planning of courses
- The Training and Supervision Plans (TSP) of PhDs
- And any other business concerning the education of PhD candidates
The chair of the committee acts as adviser to the WASS Board. Membership of the Education Committee is limited to a maximum of 5 years. Membership has to be approved by the WASS Board.
Research and Assessment Committee
The Research and Assessment Committee:
- Ensures a coherent structure of the research themes, by encouraging exchange and debate between (groups of) researchers
- Stimulates the external visibility of the research themes and advises the Director in preparing and co-ordinating research activities (seminars, lectures, master classes)
- Generates proposals to the Education Committee on PhD courses relevant to the different themes
- Assesses the quality and feasibility of PhD projects for admittance to WASS
Membership of the Research and Assessment Committee is to a maximum of 5 years. Membership is by approval of the Board.
Publication Policy and Criteria Committee
The Publication Policy and Criteria Committee:
- Formulates concrete proposals to the Board with regard to publication policy in order to enhance productivity and to stimulate the quality of the scientific output, while taking into account the different research traditions in WASS.
- Regularly evaluates the criteria for admittance to WASS and proposes adaptations to the Board.
- Annually develops and adapts the WASS publisher list on the basis of suggestions of fellows.
- Discusses the future of the "Mansholt Publication Series" and the "Mansholt Working Papers" with the members of the editorial boards of these series.
Editorial Board WASS working papers
WASS Working Papers is an online pre-publication series for WASS members, without the author(s) losing copyright. The series serves as a medium through which researchers can communicate their first scientific results in an early stage of research, stimulating discussion and comments. The quick selection procedure does not include a long reviewing process with several revision rounds. Examples of working papers that are suited for the series are faculty working papers and papers presented at conferences.
International Advisory Board
The main task of the International Advisory Board is to provide WASS with outlines of strategic issues concerning the research and the educational programme of the Graduate School and to evaluate its performance. The Board consists of five leading international scientists representing the various social-scientific fields of WASS.
- Professor Dr Alan Irwin, Professor at Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- Professor Dr Dan Brockington, Professor and Director of the Sheffield Institute for International Development, UK
- Professor Dr Lisa House, Director of the Florida Agricultural Market Research Center and a Professor in the Food and Resource Economics Department at the University of Florida, USA.
- Professor Dr Andrea Lenschow, professor of Integration and Policy and Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Osnabrück, Germany
- Dr Paolo Sckokai, Associate professor Agricultural Economics, Universitá Cattolica Piacenza, Italy