Improving Open Access (OA) for scientific publications is a key priority of the Dutch government. The Netherlands has opted for 100% OA for publicly funded research results in 2024 at a minimum of extra subscription costs. Wageningen University & Research must comply with the governmental and EU policies on OA, and has adopted a WUR Open Access policy.
The Library helps you to
- comply to funders policies
- choose a suitable OA option
- use financial arrangements for OA publishing
Forms of Open Access
- Journals do not have a subscription model
- Most of the journals are funded by Article Processing Charges (APC). These are generally paid by the corresponding author’s institute
- Some journals are funded by societies or other funders and don’t charge APCs
- Library arrangements for pricing discounts can apply.
- Subscription based journals that allow for articles to be published in OA
- Funding by APCs paid by corresponding author’s institutes or project funders
- Funding by "pre-paid" agreements with the Library as part of journal collection budgets.
- Publish the author version of your accepted article manuscript via Pure or a trusted repository
- Subject to publisher policies
- Embargo period can apply.
- Publishers and journals with a disputable reputation
- To be avoided.
Checklist for authors
During project proposal
- Check if project funder has an OA policy or mandate
- Check if project funder offers APC budget
- Check if project funder has other arrangements with publishers
Before submission / choosing a journal
- Check current financial arrangements
- If in doubt about a journal, consult the Library staff
- Make sure the corresponding author has a WUR affiliation at the expected moment of acceptance
- Use your WUR email address in submission forms
- Use the correct WUR brand name
- Be sure to choose the OA option during the submission process. This can be different for every publisher and depends on recognition of the WUR IP-address by the publisher systems.
- For articles that are not OA upon publication, follow the Green road (see above 'Green OA').